Thank you for not killing me??

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by rolls canardly, Aug 23, 2019.

1. interpreter

interpreter Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2013
    I can understand why you’re pissed, I would be too. I always move over or slow down if I see flashing lights on the shoulder. That being said I have an issue with a statement in your post. “My yellow LED lights are blinding”—do you realize how counterproductive blinding lights are to those of us trying to dodge a vehicle in the shoulder? I HATE the super bright LEDs, especially the new lights on law enforcement vehicles. The brightness and the way they flash is distracting to the point of dangerous. I’m not excusing the driver in question, but you guys who have these super bright lights (especially white light bars) make it hard on us driving down the road.

lilillill and rolls canardly Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Maybe I should have said "more than adequate."
    I also am no fan of the overkill; If anything it is confusing instead of helpful.
    I bought mine on Amazon for about 400. bucks. Good suggestion on the cones.
    I do also use cones; on an old post I said some joker flattened one of mine doing 80.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Reason for edit: run down, tired, worn out
    interpreter and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Maybe add some battery powered strobes to the top of the cones.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  5. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    How far does your mirror stick out? So 2 feet - times two - plus inches.
    Sure felt closer!
    I now only wish I had taken a second to get an eyeball on the driver.
    Texting, evil grin, sleeping, whatever.
    My only thought at the time was to make sure I did not trip on the rail on the side of the bed,
    and have JUST my legs run over, by said driver. Funny the things you think of?

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    A few years ago a riend of mine was on a service call mounting a new tire on the trailer road side on I-40.
    Another friend came along in a stste dump truck and for no reason decided to stop behind him with his emergency lights on. he happened to be looking in the mirror and saw a truck veering their way and honked his horn. Benny dove under the trailer and left the impact on the lug nut, the truck destroyed the impact, it was that close.
    Probably a year or so before that the same Benny was working on a truck on the shoulder and had his service truck parked in front of the rig. The driver had been watching him, but walked around the front and stepped out just as a van hit it and him, splattering the driver all over the bed of the service truck.
    A couple of years before that one of my mechanics called me at 4 in the morning and told me he needed me and at which mile marker. he was still shook up when I got there, He and a driver was sitting in the service truck in the grass, and had the jumper cables stretched across charging the batteries, when an old dominion started driving on he shoulder towards the back of the guys trailer. My mechanic turned his headlights on and woke him up, but instead of going back on the road he came around in the grass. Luckily it was pretty steep right there so he went on down hill and threw the fence before he hit the service truck.
    I worked on trucks and run a wrecker for several years, you have to be on your toes and still be lucky at times.

brian991219 and rolls canardly Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.