The 8 inch rand McNally tablet

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Upright, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    I'm about to fork over 499.00 for this tablet/GPS but I can't find any info on it. The loves im at claim they just got it in and have one in stock plus the display. The rand website has no info on it. I checked out the box and it doesn't give much specs on it. All I got from it is its an 8 in screen, android compatible, WiFi ready and instructions has only GPS info. Is this a new item? First time seeing it and the screen is huge. Not sure I want that mounted on the dash as big as it is. I am soooo tempted to buy it. Anyone know about this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Unless ya have a gang of points to use $300.00+ don't buy that ####. If ya need a Rand McNally truck GPS the 530 works and is way cheaper. If ya want a tablet then buy a tablet don't even waste money on this weak combo.

4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    To make a statement like that, have you bought one or tested it or you are going on someone's else's thoughts?

5. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    There is a RM support thread. Please post in that so we don't have multiple threads running.

Thanks,
    Mark

6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I seen this the other day at a Loves & I thought... Thats pretty neat/clever.

Then I though, Humm, nahhh...

You could buy a tablet for $200 install Rand McNally gps software & there ya go. It wont have a video camera, but......

I mean, nahhh, Not for $500....

kwan2323 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC

Not able to just load the RM GPS software. It is integrated into the tablet on API's and other software changes.

ColoradoLinehaul and MichianaFlat Thank this.
  8. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Like I said I wouldn't waste money on that device, so no I haven't bought it. I saw it in the ad in the bathroom and scoffed at a $500 tablet/GPS. MOST electronics sold at the truck stops are rips offs anyway. PERSONALLY I wouldn't spend that kind of money if I just wanted a tablet OR A GPS, there are a lot of cheaper and thoroughly reviewed alternatives.

To add: no way I'd even buy a tablet from Rand McNally if it was priced $200 cheaper. They make GPS devices, let the tablet people (Apple & Samsung) stick to tablets. A Rand McNally tablet actually sounds worse than windows :biggrin_2553:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    dante411x, HalpinUout, Shaggy and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    you are right. I asked questions on no answers. I'll save my 500 bucks. Close the thread now.

10. RoadCall

RoadCall Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I agree! ... Nothing against RM (I will probably buy a RM GPS) but let's be real, try perfecting your GPS before you venture into the tablet world.

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    So those that are posting negative about the TND, I have not seen any posts in the support thread about any issues you might be having.

LGarrison Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.