The Abilene Experience from 0-solo

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by trkrmichael, Dec 23, 2017.

1. trkrmichael

trkrmichael Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2017
    Wanted to take the time to post a zero to solo experience in the hopes a newbie or potential hire on with Abilene Motor Express has the insight I dint to make a good choice ..as with any advice your mileage may vary but I wanted to give something back short of spending days reading my buddys blog A new Place to call home which btw is an amazing resource of knowledge

First Abilene operates around 400 units based in Richmond Virginia they are a 80% dryvan to 20% reefer company. They are a family owned and operated business which is great in y opinion compared to a corporate entity. That being said they operate as any company would with firm policy and expect professionalism in all they do. The fleet consists of company drivers with a handful of lease or owner ops. Our fleet runs Kenworth's Volvos and Freightliners with some Macks thrown in. Also a 100% auto shift company , we dont have the mentality of gears make you a driver and safety I can assure you has alot to do with this decision take it or leave it. We pull our own trailers and Im sure there are exceptions but from what Ive witnessed this is the case. Our freight isnt discussed for obvious reasons but it is very consistent despite the gripes you hear around the yards.

If what youve read thus far interests you so far APPLY I understand they hire on drug free fresh CDL's as well as veterans , with clean or smudged pasts (everyone is different). They offer a training/refresher 3 phase program that gets you up and running dependent on your ability and experience. Will discuss phases shortly but on to Orientation after hire process.

Orientation and getting there and where you'll be.
    Transport to Abilene In Richmond is by plane train or automobile in my case Greyhound , the recruiter will discuss best method and pay for that method unless you decide to drive and are reimbursed , but the recruiter will assist you in that part. You will travel to Richmond and will undergo a paid for the company DOT Physical and drug screen. If you need to know what type you need to ask the recruiter! Im not at liberty to say but I will contend if you have a dirty past in this respect you are wasting your time coming to Abilene! I personally again rode the greyhound from Florida and while not the best I arrived ready to embark on my journey. All arriving new hires are put in a hotel blocks from the yard in a single occupancy room. Breakfast buffet included and lunch will be provided at orientation. And dinner is n you , locally to the hotel Burger King McDonalds and Subway are near by as is Waffle house and delivery to the hotel ask the front desk for menus. Orientation is 2 1/2 days of law paper work policy and most of what you need to join your trainer on the 3rd day. It goes easy and until about 5pm leaving you time to rest at the hotel and be ready for the next day. Dont make the mistake of partying on your off time here its left some without a job and shows your lack of maturity and eagerness to be successful in my opinion but to each their own.

Phase one
    You've met and greeted your trainer and you are about to hit the road following the road test in orientation. This phase is for you to learn the truck and get some miles under your belt while your trainer instructs and coaches you into the life of being on the road. You'll learn everything from planning to fueling to managing yourself time wise and polish driving skills including backing and operating the mechanics of the truck. MY advice and what worked for me was to listen and take notes if you have retention issues with how much is coming at you. Be aware sleep is a luxury and commodity so is getting along with another guy or lady while being instructed. In my opinion and what worked for me is respect and gratitude and open mindedness are key. You need to get along together to survive the weeks ahead. Listen and learn you're being graded as you go and frankly respect is whats going to get you through this initial phase. Your trainer will be watching right seat while you drive and will eventually drive as you watch to again polish your skill.

Phase two

Youve taken a written test on law and operation of the truck and Abilene policy and are now going to team with your trainer. You will drive while he or she sleeps and vice versa , every trainer is different so work this out with them individually , but you are now being trusted with the safety of both of you as well as the safety of the equipment. At any time you can be busted back to phase one prolonging your time here in any phase so ask questions before screwing up! This phase for most wll last 2-4 weeks with phase one should only be 1-2 weeks again everyone is different!

Phase three

This is where youve run the truck properly , conducted your computer work (qualcomm) effectively and are now in the fine polishing phase, you should be exhibiting solo skills while you trainer continues to help you improve. This phase often and should include northeast trips New York, Boston etc and while nerve racking to most remember other before you have conquered this and so shall you. Think positively and use your best common sense and you'll survive it. You will test out of this phase and be moving on to solo life ...another post to look for in the near future

My best advice and experience is to be positive , dont come into this disgruntled about the low pay , hard hours and life away from the comforts of home, what worked for me was a motivation daily to see the end when things will be on your schedule and when you can regain privacy again and do things your way. For me I enjoyed my phases and learned something new every day I made the best of it and was lucky to have a great trainer who actually likes to give back to our industry in this way, Did he make a bundle of miles off your driving ..of course but its the trainer pay for the sacrifice they make for you and us! You can train one day and benefit the same if you desire but show them the respect they deserve for sharing their knowledge and time. I for one consider my trainer a friend for life and a resource for my questions ongoing. I hope I can repay him for his efforts one day through being successful at this extremely tough lifestyle and job. Ive had other trainers and not many care , from what Ive seen of Abilenes trainer corp they do care and want you to succeed!

This is my story my experience yours may vary alot of slightly or quite a bit but I can only hope its similar and youve gained some basic facts from my experience again Im hoping to give back what Ive been given and lived through....if you find yourself here and gained something from it Id love to meet you and shake hands.

My solo journey starts in a few days after some much needed hometime for the holidays , once out I'll have time to respond to other questions not covered here bare with me I'll be busy learning my way through my solo start up in to the new year

Kwan23, Gunner75, Redtwin and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Are you experienced driver or a newbie ?

4. trkrmichael

Oct 3, 2017
    I came from 4 months OTR lease from Trans Am 3 years ago so needed a refresher

5. Jerry Rigs

Jerry Rigs Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Good write-up, nice tone to it. Sounds like you have a great attitude, that is what it takes to make it out here. This job is mostly what you make of it, though I still slip sometimes...

I complain sometimes, but overall Abilene has been good to me. I booked 160,000 miles this year, and made 55k. This was my first driving job ever, and I started training last November.

I stayed out for 3-4 weeks at a time and was able to get some long runs, one of the ways to make money at this. Good luck to you, and congrats on finishing training.

Redtwin and trkrmichael Thank this.
  6. superjackson08

superjackson08 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2015
    They are 75 % owned by usxpress

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  7. Gwh1184

Gwh1184 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Petersburg, VA
  8. trkrmichael

Oct 3, 2017
    I’m sure I’ll have plenty of days to slip none of us perfect but I agree attitude is a huge part of this I knew that after leaving trans am pissed at the world for how I was treated My hope was to set the tone for a newbie as well as share my info as some of the info was antiquated happy holidays and thanks for reading!!

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Subscribed!!

trkrmichael and JohnBoy Thank this.
  10. lil penny

lil penny Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Hi,interesting post.Im early in the process of becoming a trucker,I have my CDL permit,tanker endorsement so far.The plan is to Start Driving school and have more endorsements by March.When you say " Low Pay " during Training process at Abilene...can you elaborate?

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  11. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Dude, before you run your mouth about something your know nothing about, get your facts straight. If you have any questions to corroborate your misinformation, just go to the other blog and ask.

Gunner75, tony97905, Lonesome and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.