The Anderson Lease thread - redux.

Discussion in 'Anderson' started by Sinister, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Sinister

Sinister Light Load Member

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin, US of A.
    I haven't been home in 3 weeks, but the wife says there's a copy of the new, lower mileage pay scale. Anyone mind posting it? It's public knowledge anyway...

Okay, here goes. As of Sept. 1st, mileage pay at ATS will be as follows:

All empty miles will pay at .81 (just to make your settlements that much more convoluted...LOL)
    Minimum pay $350
    0-399 = 1.25 (.25)
    400 - 599 = 1.00 (.07)
    600 - 899 = .96 (.05)
    900 - 1499 = .83 (.03)
    1500 + = .81 (.02 ish?)

The difference in mileage pay compared tot he old system is in parenthesis. The greatest cut is on the short loads. No information is given about reducing tarping pay but I'm pretty sure I've seen some loads drop a few bucks over what they were when I started at the end of may. As far as I know, FSC will still figure on a per mile basis, based on the national fuel index released every tuesday morning by the DOE. That's why you get that message every Tuesday about the weeks FSC.

For those of you who may not know this, they multiply your loaded miles by that cpm figure, and that's how they come up with your FSC pay. So, even though you're on a mileage contract, it still pays to be careful and watch your deadhead.

So, all is not yet lost. My FM told me that based on my current average miles, and loads I've selected since my start, I stand to lose about 50-60 bucks per load. That's a pretty good chunk, so we'll see how it shakes out. I have been considering switching to percentage, since I'm now a class 2 (which also increased my mileage pay .01), but every percentage guy I've talked to is pretty much losing his butt. I thought maybe the increased availability of OD freight might offset this, now I'm not so sure.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm kinda going off on a tangent here. I was talking to another ATS L/O today and he gave me a few good ideas if they prove to be true.

We were talking about his business structure. He formed an S-Corp. I think we all know about this one.

One of the major disadvantages of Becoming an O/O is you can no longer deduct the cost of your lease (truck) payment. He was arround this was to form yet another S-Corp whose sole function was to buy the truck and lease it to the 1st S-Corp. You can now claim the depreciation and the lease payments in two different S-Corps.

Bottom line is that he only gets a $250.00 salary per week and pays little personal Federal Income Tax and he claimes he gets the Estimated Quarterly Income Tax back after a year. He ends up paying about $600.00 per quarter instead of the $3,000.00 I am paying.

I'm going to check this out.

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Related corporation laws under the IRS will be in play here. There are also laws concerning churning an asset.

There is no problem with an O/O having the truck owned and turning around and leasing it to a corporation for the amount of the payment. This is fine if the corporation is the one using the truck.

I think your buddy here is playing with fire.

5. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It sounds like you just explained it, maybe I am not explaining it well. He has gone through an experienced Corporate Lawyer every step of the way.

6. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    The same asset cannot be depreciated twice.

The one can set up and operating company whether it be s or whatever. This operation can deduct any payments made for the lease of the truck it it is leased.

The second business whether s or not can be the title holder of the truck. It owns the truck, so it can deduct depreciaiton on it. However, the income is the lease payment from the other business.

This sounds more like what they might be doing.

However, I think they went the long way for a short problem.

7. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    So, what might be a better more tax saving way to do this?

8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    It is possible.

When I owned my truck, I set it up in a C corp. The attorney thought that an S was the way to go. Had to straighten him up. C corp allowed me to utilize employee benefits that were not available to s corp.

I paid a minimum wage each week. I paid my wife as well. I set the corporation up for profit and pension plans that let me shelter 25% of the salary.

The corporation leased the truck from me since I bought it personally. I had the companies I leased to pay my corporation.

You have to actually look at each situation to see what is best. My tax background enabled me to shelter the most money back and pay tax at lower rates. The c corp paid a tax at 15%. It is hard to beat that.

Civilservant Thanks this.
  9. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    Roadmedic Can you elaborate a bit more on the differences beteween "C" and "S" corps? I'm trying to figure the best way to go about what i'm going to be doing soon as well.

I've been researching via google but alot of it is confusing to me, it talks about going public and offering stocks, etc. Do you HAVE to go public? I mean, i'm just going to run a one truck operation here but i'm trying to figure out the most cost effective (tax saving) way to do it.

Thanks in advance

cplmac2 and Civilservant Thank this.
  10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

I will try to keep it simple.

A C corporation is an tax paying business by itself. It files annual tax returns on Form 1120 and pays tax. The only way to get money out is through a salary or a dividend. It can be formed by one shareholder.
    The tax rate for the net income up to 50,000 is at 15 %.

There is no legal protection in case of lawsuit in a collision to protect personal assets. They sue the owner of the corporation and the driver.

A S corporation is a business that files tax returns on Form 1120 SC. It does not pay tax. The net income of the business flows to the shareholders and is then taxed on their personal return. It also can be one shareholder as well.

11. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    Does an S corp have more protection against liability than a C corp does? Or is it the same?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.