"The Big Rig: Trucking and the Decline of the American Dream"

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by chico9696, Feb 7, 2018.

1. chico9696

chico9696 Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2009
    USA

Published on Oct 14, 2016
    Wednesday, September 21
    (Please note that this video is 52 minutes long)

"The Big Rig: Trucking and the Decline of the American Dream"

Steve Viscelli, Ph.D., Lecturer, Department of Sociology, University of Pennsylvania

Long-haul trucks have been described as sweatshops on wheels. The typical long-haul trucker works the equivalent of two full-time jobs, often for little more than minimum wage. But it wasn’t always this way. Trucking used to be one of the best working-class jobs in the United States. Deregulation and collective action by employers transformed trucking’s labor markets--once dominated by the largest and most powerful union in US history--into an important example of the costs of contemporary labor markets for workers and the general public.

This talk will explain how this massive degradation in the quality of work occurred, and how companies achieve a compliant and dedicated workforce despite it. It is based on more than 100 in-depth interviews and years of extensive observation, including six months spent training and working as a long-haul trucker.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oldC10

oldC10 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Rockingham, NC
    Wow, pretty amazing talk about the progression of getting sucked into leasing a truck! Thanks for posting this video.

4. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Wow.

"Sweatshops on wheels..."

I never really felt like that. When I didn't feel fairly compensated for the time, effort and energy, not to mention sacrifice of personal relationships--family and otherwise--I just switched divisions or company to what best suited me.

"Sweatshops..."

Wow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.