The correct way to merge in a construction zone?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by basedinMN_, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    What a joke .. and pigs fly too !!

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    pigs DO FLY...!!

i had to go and make a pick up of a relative at the airport.

a pig was seen carrying his overnighter bag from the luggage carousel.

4. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    Everyone take turns,turns into everyone thinking….
    OK,Me first!

5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Obviously this was dreamed up by some liberal man bun wearing idoit that drives a Prius and has a a trophy case full of participation trophys & believes in group hugs and still lives in they mom's basement

6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I'm all for the zipper merge if everyone actually does it correctly, but since that will NEVER happen...

7. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    That is precisely the reason for miles long backups for a simple lane closure.
    But since most won't see earlier posted signage for closures and which lane to drive thru on, I doubt you'll ever see a change.

8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Usually the early mergers that stop 2 miles from the lane closure to get over cause more problems then the actual back up, it’s really simple when you see the sign, start looking for a hole to get over, if you can do so great, if it’s 500’ before the merge point that’s great too.

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    They’re rebuilding the bridge over the Yellowstone River in Billings MT. Reduced to one lane in each direction. They have multiple signs saying to use both lanes, including overhead signs with arrows indicating to use both lanes, and at the merge point they have an overhead sign with arrows indicting to “merge now”. Despite all this, traffic stops and the left lane gets backed up about 2 miles from the merge point. So I ran the right lane all the way to the merge point, as directed, and avoided a giant backup because people choose to not read or do anything different than what they normally do. When I go back thru this week I’ll try and remember to have my cb on because I’m sure I was getting cussed for “not seeing that the right lane is closed ahead” or something.

10. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    If you want to wait till the last minute you can stop and get behind me or hit the barrels... up to you

CassND, RockinChair, Tekna and 6 others Thank this.
  11. classic_150

classic_150 Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2009
    South Dakota
    And there is where the problem is. If everyone would let someone in it would work fine

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.