The crashes closed northbound I-65 for hours.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by truckaholic001, Mar 4, 2020.

1. truckaholic001

truckaholic001 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Nevada
    Troopers say 'strong wind gust' sparked multi-truck crash on I-65
    [​IMG]

Indiana State Police say that a chain reaction crash on I-65 yesterday started when high winds caused a semi trailer to become airborne and crash into another truck.

[​IMG]
    The crash occurred around 2 p.m. on Tuesday, March 3, in the northbound lanes of I-65 at mile marker 198 near Remington, Indiana.

Troopers describe the circumstances leading to the crash:

Preliminary investigation by Trooper Kurtis Jones shows that several semis were traveling northbound when a strong gust of wind blew across the interstate from the west, resulting in a trailer becoming airborne and striking the truck that was in the right lane. Both drivers then lost control of their vehicles with one striking the median guardrail before impacting the concrete bridge abutment. The cab of the truck then separated from the frame. The truck continued down into the creek while the cab came to rest on its side in the median. The second truck crashed into the east ditch. Both drivers were transported from the scene with non-life-threatening injuries.

A secondary crash occurred at the 197 mile-marker almost immediately after. That crash also involved two semis and a box truck. In the second crash, a semi was slowing for the earlier crash. Preliminary investigation by Trooper Corey Brown revealed that a box truck was rear-ended by a tanker semi, which pushed that box truck into the rear of a second semi. The box truck then crashed into the right ditch while the tanker jack-knifed and crashed into the median before also coming to a rest in the right ditch. The driver had to be extricated from the cab and transported from the scene with non-life threatening injuries.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The crashes closed an eight mile stretch of northbound I-65 between the Wolcott and Remington exits for hours, causing heavy traffic delays. All lanes have since reopened.

Multiple agencies responded to the crashes, including Remington Fire/EMS, Wolcott Fire/EMS, Monticello Fire/EMS, Phoenix EMS, Farney’s Towing, INDOT, Indiana State Police Lafayette/Lowell districts, and the ISP Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division.

Bud A., lovesthedrive, mjd4277 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Dam.......what a mess

lovesthedrive and mjd4277 Thank this.
  4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    and your tanker driver not watching what he was doing and driving too fast for the conditions. At least that is my take from the "reporting." I could be wrong, but that is what it reads like.

5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    That entire stretch of 65 from Indianapolis up to 80/94 in Gary is just a cluster. To many aggressive people speeding, tailgating, driving like animals.

6. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
  7. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    With the traffic counts on that road, it should be 4+ lanes each way most of the time. And they are just now getting around to making parts of it 3 lanes. Not to mention how rough it is. A truck getting blown sideways would trip on the potholes.

Bud A., dunchues, Vic Firth and 3 others Thank this.
  8. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Talk about a double whammy!!

9. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

It doesn't matter how many lanes there are. Someone once said, "It doesn't matter how many lanes you create to ease congestion, you'll only end up with a bigger parking lot."

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    sorta like the interstate in LA, CA area? I've seen that as a huge parking lot.

11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Looking at the road way I cant help but wonder why there arent trees growing along side the road to cut down on the wind as well as snow drifting in the winter.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.