The decision on buying used or brand new

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DiamondDave84, Feb 18, 2019.

1. DiamondDave84

DiamondDave84 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Everett,WA
    First off thank you for taking the time to read this post and to give your insight on my hard decision. I've been driving truck for about 3 years now and want the freedom of Owner Operator. I've heard many people say not to buy new and just buy a good used truck. Here's my thought on this and tell me if I'm wrong.

Buying new you know no one has beaten the truck into the ground and you will have a full warranty. Very slight chance of break downs and just have to worry about general maintenance. High payment though.

Buying used you run the risk of buying a headache with high miles. Low truck payment though. Low payment could be offset with expensive repairs and lost days of revenue.

Please shed some light on this please.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I’d buy a used 1 owner truck with a Cummins engine that you can get Encore warranty through Cummins on. Miles around 300k ideally and for around 75 or 80k.

Or, I’d buy a brand new truck. Kenworth T680 with X15 engine and endurant auto trans.

Lastly, you could buy something for around 20k and plan on spending a lot of money fixing things. If you know a good mechanic it could work out by keeping your startup costs low.

You going to lease on or get your own authority? What type of trailer and where you live? Gonna run local or OTR? All this makes big difference.

I started with a 10k truck but ran local intrastate. Then went to 1 owner trucks, and now new trucks. The new ones all you gotta do is change the oil. Down time can kill you, be prepared to rent trucks while yours is down to keep the revenue coming in. Renting is expensive though on top of repair costs.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    SoDel and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    This guy have some videos from 1 or 2 ago bragging about the BIG money he was making. Had older used truck now got a newer truck and still not have a great time. We was with Prime couple year ago.

5. DiamondDave84

DiamondDave84 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Everett,WA
    Honestly weighing all the options. Thought about leasing onto Landstar and Mercer. Just recently started looking into the Authority. I feel Authority Is the true ultimate freedom. Gives you the option to haul loads close to home if you want to do that. Was looking at pulling a flatbed trailer and eventually grabbing a dry van for the slow season. Right now I'm located just north of Seattle Washington but probably going to relocate to Texas.

6. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    If you buy a used SCR truck, don’t buy a typical fleet truck with 50% + idle time. You’re guaranteed to have issues. Find something that has an APU on it. You could buy a cheap truck for cash, pre emission, if you have the time, resources, or knowledge to do things yourself to bring it to 100%.
    I recommend buying new if you can afford it. The fuel mileage and reliability are greatly improved since the early models that had issues. If you can’t get into a new one right away, buy used that you can run for 2.5-3 years and then, get what you really want.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Dave_in_AZ can give good advice on that.
    I'm ignorant on the subject, but thought if I became an owner-operator I'd buy a used truck from TransAm or Melton Truck Lines. From what I've read, they keep their trucks in good condition and check them over good before selling them.
    The Best Value on the Road
    TransAm Fleet Equipment Sales began providing truck and trailer sales in 2005. We have been successful because of the top quality of our equipment and the exceptional service that our customers receive. Our current selection of late-model tractors include the Kenworth T680 with 75″ dual bunk condo cabs, automatic transmissions, and Auxiliary Power Units. Detailed inside and out, all tractors have working accessories, no rips or tears in the upholstery and body damage that will not exceed $250. The balance of the engine and drivetrain warranties will be transferred to you.
    Autoshifts Pave the Way to Higher Profits
    If you’re thinking about purchasing a tractor with an automatic transmission, consider the benefits of owning a pre-owned tractor with the Eaton AutoShift from TransAm Fleet Equipment Sales:
    • Shifting is computer-controlled at ideal engine speed for best efficiency and performance.
    • Most of the shock is taken out of the driveline which is easier on all driveline parts and will save you money on repairs and replacement parts.
    • With less body movement and the ability to keep both hands on the wheel, you create less stress on your body.
    • Reduces driver skill requirements through ease of operation. You can place more emphasis on safe driving rather than gear shifting.
    Auxiliary Power Unit Already Installed
    All tractors come equipped with an Auxiliary Power Unit (“APU”) which eliminates the need for idling and consumes only a fraction of fuel compared to a running engine. The APU provides heating and cooling comfort and shores power for the driver.

SoDel Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK you may not like what i have to say.

Don't buy a truck yet.

Why?

Because that statement is bull*******.

You can get a brand new truck with no one ever even driving it one mile and have it be such a lemon that you want to burn it to the ground.

Same thing, don't buy a truck yet, because this statement is bull****

There is no statement that can be true. the new truck has less of a risk of breaking down but they sure do break down.

The used truck is at risk of having all kinds of things happen to it, but there is a thing called mitigating risk and it involved due diligence on your part. You need to make sure you have it tested, dyno/blowby and oil analysis are pretty important, so is having an independent mechanic go through it from bumper to mudflaps and an ecm dump. AND got to add, it is a great idea to also change things that commonly need changing, like belts, brakes and so on.

But please don't be like a lot of others who get wet over the big rig that they "dreamed of", it is a tool, you don't need to throw away the idea of comfort but hell a big sleeper, long nose and comfy seat doesn't make you money but what it inside that does.

9. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    I bought mine used. It's a former Swift truck out of one if the special lease programs they do for drivers who've jumped through some hoops.

2011 Prostar Eagle, ISX (pre 2010), 13spd, blah, blah, blah.

I have a very good mechanical background. I was already experienced with troubleshooting and repairing the ISX. My truck came with a fresh dyno report and blowby test. After I inspected it front to back myself I decided to make the deal. I haven't regretted it for a minute. I've put roughly 350k on her clock and she has yet to let me down. Everything that's required repair work has been issues that any truck, new or used, can experience. Lots of replacing wear items but all told I've spent less for up keep on her for 4 years than I'd have spent on the diff in truck payment over just two years for new.

Choice between new and used really comes down to your skills. If you have the skills and are willing to spend the time doing most of your own maint/repair, go used. If you cant tell a combo wrench from a screwdriver, go new.

miszel and JonJon78 Thank this.
  10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @Tug Toy
    He has a thread you should read.
    It is called "new or old asked again"

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    DiamondDave84 Thanks this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Landstar is bad. Go to Schneider.

I think one of the true points of modern truck savvy is an APU.

I don't think I'd mess with anything that didn't have an APU. Except maybe a Volvo.

Idling is the kiss of death if you're going to get a DEF truck.

New truck what you need to consider is a BIG insurance payment. 700 vs 150 a month for insurance. You're good at math right?

New truck can be as big a headache as a used one.

Starting out looking down the gun barrel at a 2800 month payment, after your 15000 down, and 700 month for insurance.

You'll develop some sort of cardiovascular disease pretty early on.

If you do get a new truck, you need to view said truck as a tool, nothing more, wait until autumn, get yourself a cheap prostar with a huge warranty for as little as possible.

I'd get a used Cascadia if I were you. That's what I put people in, simply because it's the cheapest to operate.

It's the 350 Chevy of the trucking world.

SoDel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.