The dreaded 90

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Willchamberlain, May 27, 2017.

1. Willchamberlain

Willchamberlain Bobtail Member

May 27, 2017
    I started school the end of March and most things have been going well. At first I couldn't even keep the thing running let alone do a straight back. Today I'm 100% confident in almost all my maneuvers except the dreaded 90/alley dock. I'm just to inconsistent with it. When I do get in I don't know what I did right to get it in and when I don't I don't k ow what I do wrong. My biggest issue is that first right, I sometimes either over steer it and get back under it too late or don't steer enough.

Only thing left is for me to drive with the 53 box attached since I just got the shifting down with just the tractor. My pre trip is legit, straight back piece of cake, off set is phenomenal, shifting is decent solid but this 90 is inconsistent as ever. Monday I'm good tues-thurs I suck Friday it's meh. Any advice or tips u use to get in there?

I have a job lined up at dayton freight but I need to be done within the next 2 weeks, please help.

Smut Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    You can't expect it to be perfect every time. When I do a 90 I always get under my trailer to late but I just do a pull up and it fixes everything. Keep practicing and I wouldn't worry about over/under steering because that can be easily fixed.

MachoCyclone and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Dreaded? Don't psych yourself out. When you think you can't do something, it's easy to prove yourself right.

rank, Smut, Puppage and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    20 years in and sometimes the EASIEST docks kick my ### and make me look like a rookie. Seems when I'm trying the hardest and concentrating and doing everything right. I can't get it straight no matter what. Had my account on a run and did a crazy blind side 90 one shot. He's going wow!!! Next day straight in, 3 pull ups to get straight. He's looking at me like, WTF? It happens, don't be hard on yourself.

SingingWolf, RERM, Grubby and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Antler24

Antler24 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Yeah don't sweat it. You'll never stop learning. If your handling the rest of things as well as you say, your gonna be fine.

Smut and Puppage Thank this.
  7. Highway_Executive

Highway_Executive Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Chicago
    O were talking about that 90. I was thinking to myself who the hell take interstate 90 through downtown Chicago if you don't have to go that way. Everyday it's parking lot :cool:

BTShepp, SingingWolf, snowwy and 3 others Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The "easiest" docks can do that to anyone if there are no lines on the ground.

MachoCyclone and SingingWolf Thank this.
  9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
  10. Snow Walker

Snow Walker Light Load Member

This may be taken as a very stupid comment; however, in reality, this type of learning curve taught me how to back up a trailer in all conditions.

When I started OTR driving I was only 19 and figured I was the best double clutchen, gear jammin truck driver in the world. When I applied for a job at Trans America (Boston & NY, 1959) they wanted me on their payroll but would not give me a truck. Too young and too ####y . Even though my nose was badly bent, I accepted their offer to be a yard monkey docking trailers. Though a yard donkey (a yard shunter) ( the jargon has changed since those days) has a different turning ratio than a highway tractor it still taught me how to back a trailer into spots that "most" OTRs could never do. The company eventually let me use an older tractor, (a MAC- COE) to meet drivers on the outskirts of Boston to haul their trailers to the yard. (Only the old timers will remember what it was like getting a highway trailer in and out of Boston in the late fifties and early sixties) Yup, it was seven long months of of bent nose yard shunting, but, there were very few holes that I could not get a trailer into with no more than one pull up.

Maybe swallow some truck driving pride and find a job as a yard monkey for a spell to learn how to maneuver a trailer in tight spots. It is usually a low paying job, but the experience sticks with you for a life time.

From an old timer:

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Dreaded? HAW... you scare yourself Friend.

Stop it. You will encounter the deep dark horrors hidden underground where there are walls that are not going to give you much room for a decent pullup. Some are not even walls, just the formations left behind by miners in the earth. (Civil War Road Food Distribution, Missouri comes to mind)

Wind the wheel all the way over, as the trailer begins to move and turn, get about half of that wheel off before you reach a 45 degree angle that you want on your drives to trailer. Follow trailer back adding wheel or taking off wheel as necessary to follow your trailer into the hole. You will notice your tractor become some what straight but not quite. You probably will have to do a pull up or two, if not also get out and walk back to look at your work in progress before you hit something.

Ive been off the road a long time, but there is no problem putting that trailer into the hole and eventually when I understand that trailer well enough I'll glide into the dock in one move. Which was one of the things Ive enjoyed doing. Or used to. Spread axles are the easiest becuase you can put everything on that forward axle and get into anything. Even your cat's litter box if you had to.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.