The Fuel Hauler Thread

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Cali kid, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I have trouble with a Truck and trailer also. Lots of guys here can back them up really well. Others like me, can barely back them 10 ft

roadranger550 and chmpbt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    They are very easy to back once the lightbulb goes off in your head. I’ve been in a truck and trailer setup for 4 years. They back opposite of a semi trailer. You back them like you were backing a bobtail without a trailer. You are steering that dolly 4th axle like a radio flyer red wagon. Small movements are key and once the dolly gets too far out of whack you cannot chase it like a semi trailer. Straight back, use SMALL movements. Before you know it you’ll be able to do a 45 degree alley dock. After you master that, you can do a full 360 with it having your nose right along side of the rear of your trailer. That maneuver I’ve never done in a gas truck but we do it all of the time in a transfer dump to get out of tight spots when you can’t do a u-turn.

chmpbt Thanks this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

A truck and trailer backs just the opposite of a semi. Turn your steering wheel the way you want the trailer to go.
    With tankers, line up the corner of your truck tank and your trailer tank. Start your backing with everything lined up. Backing a little to either side is actually easier than making a straight back because once you get your angle set you're pretty much done. Take your time. Pull up and straighten out as many times as you need to. Small corrections work best.
    Keep after it, one day everything will just fall into place and you'll wonder why you ever had a problem with it.
    With a little practise you can back a truck and trailer into places a semi would never go.

chmpbt Thanks this.
  5. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    Emphasis on small movements, you will never chase it down if it gets a away from you. Be prepared to pull up a lot.

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    When you're backing and you can see both sets of your front trailer tires in one mirror STOP and get straightened out again.. You're just about to pretzel your trailer tongue.
    Don't ask me how I know this.:rolleyes:

chmpbt and Rugerfan Thank this.
  7. chmpbt

chmpbt Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    So I was misinformed by my trainer who told me if a railroad crossing has arms and the blinking red light that you don’t have to stop. Just got done reading the FMCSA rules (392.10) and it states the RR crossing has to be controlled by a traffic light, as in green yellow red, for you to not be required to stop.
    I know, I know, I’m a driver, I should already know this. Ignorance isn’t an excuse for the law... but I’m new to this and I figured if my trainer has been doing it this way for so long, it must be true.
    I hear you can get your license suspended for a few months too if you don’t stop when supposed to.
    Also spurs, streetcar tracks, abandoned and exempt tracks you aren’t required to stop.
    Better late than never I guess.

8. Dick Danger

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    If you're in a 5-2 5-3 schedule, how would you feel if you were given the option to move to a 6-3 6-4 schedule?

9. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    My favorite was 4/3 with optional extra days, till they took away all extra days.

10. Dick Danger

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    No way we're going to a 4-3.

Cali kid Thanks this.
  11. tmslogistics

tmslogistics Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Wish this thread wasn't dead! Anyone still around??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.