The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Especially with the weather coming in this weekend, I wouldn't ease off the mash until you saw the home state line!

TaylorMade407 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Drove through this . . . and east bound on the 94 in MI had it much worse, multiple vehicle accidents and long back ups . . .

image.jpeg

To get to this - beams for an overhead crane. Picked it up Friday afternoon and headed south. Didn't reach "Above freezing, population 4", until south of Nashville on Saturday.

Unloaded in Warrior, AL, Saturday afternoon, dropped trailer and headed to the Aunts house in Birmingham.

image.jpeg

Somewhere around the $2.70 TTT figure after permits, though I'm sure many will call me a cheap hauler,it's helping me get a feel for what is a "worth it" figure for permitted loads. And I don't have a pocket book full of agents that are going to call me with great paying OD loads. At a few feet of overhang, it really wasn't a hassle , just read, check , comply with and understand the permits, and roll on.

I'm terrified of screwing something up. After a year of flat my paranoia and apprehension level hasn't eased much, as you can probably tell by the amount of chains and straps on the beams - 20,000 lb load. Throwing the "We'll hang draw and quarter you if you step out of line" equation divided by 5 different sets of rules in as many states doesn't help my stress level.

But it keeps me on edge, out of my comfort zone, and learning.

stwik, fordconvert, tsavory and 6 others Thank this.
  4. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Birmingham area not quite what I expected for freight. Pored over the board in the morning, went and retrieved the trailer, thanked the owner of the premises for letting me drop it there, and went to the truck stop.

Some pipe going to Henderson, TX, picks up tomorrow AM, delivers next day. Unfortunately, the 2 obvious options are heavy, goat trail through AR loads to close to the house, unless a quick draw on a load alert saves me.

Lumber or Mulch, @Old Man ? Looks like I might be "THAT guy" - or stick my nose in the air and eat the diesel home.

Dominick253 and Al. Roper Thank this.
  5. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    $2.70 doesn't sound too bad to me. Pretty sure that while you might get some flak from the "don't do anymore than you absolutely have to" crowd, I never heard of anyone getting in trouble or making the national news for having too much securement.

6. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Yeah, considering my all miles TTT has been hovering at the $1.70 mark lately, I wasn't too upset.

I think it needs to be $4/mile on the board if it needs permits, for the extra compliance, and permit cost. I've seen much worse for OD loads on the board and wonder why they even bother posting them, or if they ever move - talking 60k loads and 14 wide for under $3 on the board.

I don't know. It's all learning for me. But I know there's some real reward for the right trailer and experience - something to shoot for.

Dominick253, Grijon and Al. Roper Thank this.
  7. Al. Roper

Al. Roper Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Bakersville NC
    SST didn't have anything worthwhile? Richard and them used to do better outta Birmingham. You were right in my country. I'm about 50 miles north, 6 miles out west, off x310.

tsavory and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  8. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Sitting at the Dodge City Petro right now!

No - didn't see a SST, though I was being picky, don't like anything over 35k!!

Dominick253 and Al. Roper Thank this.
  9. Al. Roper

Al. Roper Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Bakersville NC
    That's a nice lil spot. Yeah SST is a Ligon agent code. They have about 40 or 50 agents in that office now. Can't remember the Inway dudes code. Sometimes can catch those galvanized poles outta Gadsden. Pay fair and are light.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  10. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Aaah. I forgot about the poles. Bugger.

Al. Roper Thanks this.
  11. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    There's agent who has an office at one of the pole places their rates suck.
    The galvanizing place at Steele has better paying brokers of loads than the LS ones.
    Hadn't had any light weight poles in a while.
    Not much in Birmingham paying anything right now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.