The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Then the right question becomes, "What do you intend to do with the truck?"

That's the most important question to answer. If you plan to run OTR pulling a flatbed or other low profile trailer, it's a good choice. If you plan to pull a van or reefer or get involved with lots of off road mayhem, it will have challenges that will cost you money.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    When I can afford something like in the pick it will have a nice drop deck be hind it and I will only be working from April to October. Till then I can keep dreaming right?

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I forgot to measure the clearance from back of head. Spent all of yesterday grinding down shock shanks to get those #### road kings on. But the eyeball measurement showed its even more than i thought. The firewall has a cut out section, I'm guessing because they used the same cab in the fld to allow for the shorter hood on those. You can easily get to anything on the back of the engine or bell housing iif the tranny, can even access most of the shifter plate bolts from there.

ki4wrd, RStewart, Tug Toy and 2 others Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Well - I don't know how everyone else is doing, but things have certainly picked up.

So far, for a third of the year, we're at $3/mile to the truck - all miles. Truck is paid for, which pushes the profit/expense ratio closer to 60 gain/40 loss. Now - if I'm way behind the current curve - please tell me. If 3 should be 4 then let me know.

What was the 'norm' last year, has increased 50%. More agents call, and there's more desperation in their tone. I've pulled a few this year that I thought was too cheap given the capacity situation, but due to my dumb loyalty and conscience, I've helped out for . . . . whatever reason. I'm not sure. Maybe it's a weak business mind. It's agents I've worked with before, and I understand some of them are dealing with rates that were quoted a few months ago, before things went nuts. One was responsible for $20k of revenue in January, usually the slowest month, so I chipped in. He takes care of me when it comes to battling LS on accessorial charges and extra $$.

The guy running my 53' trailer is smashing $5-$7/ mile on legal loads (board revenue figures) east of the Mississippi. Yet again, I've stabbed westward, helping out another one I've worked with before, on barely oversize loads. I wonder if I'm better off to follow him around.

I think the agents/brokers are learning quick. Having to go back to shippers with their hands out hurts, especially if it's long term customers. I know this is a surge, how long it lasts, who knows. One train of thought is to smash 'em for as much as you can. Another says to foster longer term relationships.

I guess it's a greed/ethics/business discussion. I'd be interested to hear experienced input here - it's only been 3 years as an O/O leased to a carrier.

Terry270, RStewart, sawmill and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    If you’re planning to stay with LS, I would take advantage of the market, but not gouge.

Tug Toy, spyder7723, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    A relative summary of my current thoughts, thank you.

Tug Toy and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I feel over the years I have burned some bridges. I know I have. They come and go. I think it's a little different with brokers on the open market though. Its like there's a revolving door and always new ones taking over accounts from,old ones.

That may or,may not be the case inside Landstar? I tend to think with some of the better agencies that likely isn't the case especially with you specialized. With door slamming there really no such thing as specialized. I go back and forth on this all the time. It always seems like when I try to foster relationships the offers and workload get cheaper. But sometimes when the work just isn't there you need a handful of contacts.

I can tell you this also that EOBR has really rocked everything for me. I dunno how much more of this being forced to take a 10 hour break at 13:00 I can take. I'm tired all the time and missing out on opportunities that I used to book and roll with in the past and be perfectly rested, looked compliant always, though there was heavy editing involved. I'm running ragged on the same sort of miles I always used to run. Veered off topic there sorry. I just don't see anything wrong with the old way I was doing things. I wasn't as tired and didn't have near the stress. Never watched a clock or even thought about it, now it is all I ever do.

9. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Not really veered, I think the ELD has a large part to play here.

Terry270, fordconvert, Tug Toy and 3 others Thank this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'm seeing the opposite in rates as what you are. Mine are down and overall what's being offered is down. But all the talk I hear is of difficulty finding trucks. But I've been thru this a few times the past few years. I know things can change and turn very quickly. This just doesn't have that same feel to it as 2017 for my operation. My feeling is EOBR is having a negative affect on the short haul solo operator hauling typical freight.

11. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    As a non-bipartisan observer-

Truck capacity is down. Guys that could "make it work" on paper can't book the same loads now. It's coming down to who has a truck, in the right area, with hours available to make the run. Brokers and shippers need to wake up we're in a new world

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.