The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Been a while - so . . .

Third Quarter.

Began with a birthday, and a visit from my sister and brother-in-law - their first trip to the States. Much hilarity ensued. Try taking foreigners to Walmart, or to gas up the pickup, or anywhere for that matter. Everything is an experience. Unfortunately had to cut my presence short a day and run a good one. They continued to Nascar in KY, and New Orleans, Montana and San Francisco before flying out.

Things got a bit quiet after that. Ran 11,800 miles for the quarter at $2.78 TTT. Didn't spend a lot on Maintenance or supplies either, basically just slouched around for the hot months. I looked at the load board and reflected most others' miserable outlook on regular freight.

Fourth Quarter has started well, prospects are looking fair. I'd like to smack out another $50k in revenue to exceed last years' record - but time is running out.

For the year I'm at $4.01 all miles TTT on 46,900 miles. Profit ratio has significantly shifted to 65% profit/35% loss, even with the transmission and powah upgrades in February ( which account for 7% of 'loss' ). We've been paying quarterlies this year at $5k/quarter, which should take care of the bulk of tax burden, still have a 10k backstop running in case the boogers want more flesh.

I might schedule a chat with the CPA to see how we stand now, and use the information to make decisions before years end. I'd considered going through the drive axles - bearings, brakes, slacks, S-cams, bushings etc, not that anything is wrong, but I have no record of bearings in drives, so could pre-emptively clean them all up. That would leave the rear ends themselves to complete a totally worked over truck.

Oil samples are still returning satisfactory analysis. About 500k on the inframe now, so I expect replacement won't occur for at least another 5 years at my rate of running.

The 53' trailer has returned to roost. Not sure what to do with it. A conestoga kit came to mind, as did trading it on a mini-deck RGN. As did selling it and buying a Corvette. As did a lot of things. Sure as heck I can't run both trailers at once, but it did come in handy to load 2 trailers at a customer and deliver both loads locally - 4 days work shuttling trailers at 5-10 hours a day that netted $5k and home every night.

It's a 2015 53' Utility spread axle, good tires, 2 5' tool boxes, Right Weigh scales, combo. Not sure whether promoting it to another LS guy looking to flatbed is a good idea or not vs. using it as down payment on another venture. Things right now don't leave me feeling that optimistic about trucking - aside from the hope that things will veer upward rather than continue the slide.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Good evening Blair I thought you may have gotten off the forum. Glad to hear your doing great. Remember I have a sexy 03 Z06 calling your name lol. Have a good rest of the year

Tug Toy, Oxbow and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  4. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Visited ARI and ATG (ex-ICT) businesses today. First time.

The interior of a 120" ARI sleeper unit. Note the AC/Heat ducting ran to the ceiling, with speakers.

2A58091A-8793-4396-B010-8B8C9A82C6C0.jpeg

219D6671-4996-4FE9-8712-D36864A83BAB.jpeg

6CB46E51-1FEC-42A5-8000-E9FCF7CCFC4B.jpeg

The rear fairing I always liked, mine doesn't have it - much cleaner look. Nice to see in the manufacturing stage.

0B97065F-8401-492F-8579-556B000960A6.jpeg

5486FD2A-BDB1-46C9-B709-94E254643CC8.jpeg

5. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    So - I had been harboring thoughts of a sleeper makeover and cosmetic job once the truck had attained the level of Old Truck In Top Shape, which is fast approaching.

Unfortunately, the next step is costly.

@Old Man took his truck up, had sleeper removed and gone through, meanwhile returning home and having Uni-bilt (higher) cap put on roof of cab (to allow higher access from cab to sleeper), and cab interior reworked also. Returned and had sleeper replaced. But this has been a few years ago now.

ICT is now defunct. ATG (from another company) bought the premises and are in the early stages of rebuilding the company. They can certainly do the work - but it's difficult to nail down cost.

After visiting ARI, they certainly have it going on, and I can understand that the cost of refurbishing a unit may cancel out to purchasing a new one, as they pointed out. Pretty obvious once you look at the units they have on the floor in production.

New 120" ARI start at about 55k. The cab work - paint - new accessories . . . costs could run well up toward 100k by the time I'm done with the whole truck. I could build another house out the back for Gretchen and I for that.

Suddenly became happier with what I have for now. :(

whoopNride, Feedman, RStewart and 8 others Thank this.
  6. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    What type of trailer do you have now? I think it would be tricky to write off a Corvette.

Tug Toy, blairandgretchen and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

The high cap on the drivers cab is an ultracab. Unibilt is that it has a sleeper opening large enough to lean your driver seat back into, bc it’s that large of an opening. Vs having a wall right behind the drivers seat.

1951 ford, Feedman, Cat sdp and 3 others Thank this.
  8. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I've been running the flat extendable for 2 years + now. It supercedes the 53' because it is 48 short, 53, 58, 63 etc.

The cons are 7k extra weight and max loading height of 8'4" cargo height in Eastern states.

The Corvette is a definite fast paced small parts runner . . . . :) ??!

Feedman, dwells40, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Thanks for sharing. Always enjoy your posts.

Hard to justify $100k sleeper when you only want to be on the road 120 days a year?

Lol

Feedman, stwik, dwells40 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Aaah - thought that I had the terms confused. The taller opening is what I'm after. The seats back into the back wall now - but I'm OK with that as we are 5'10" and 5' 2" respectively and there's just enough room to be comfortable in the skinny 379 cab.

Feedman, stwik, dwells40 and 3 others Thank this.
  11. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    First world issues I know. :)

It's fully functional as it is, albeit a few issues. It's the struggle between having really nice equipment, or putting the $ into a new house or retirement funds.

Left to my own devices, I could spend a ton of cash on the truck, but it's really just a tool.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.