The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    January is almost done.

Creeps up on you, life in general, that is. I'm used to the Christmas, Thanksgivings, Birthday renewal that has you thinking "Wasn't that just last month?". The one that got me this year was Superbowl. I could've sworn that was last WEEK.

As has become trucking. One week at the house, and I feel I've been lazy and it's been a month. Four days out, feels like a month. Surely just an odd space/time glitch I need to reassess.

Awaiting a few small items and off to the CPA before he gets too busy to mash the taxes. We paid quarterlies last year, and I dropped in in November to get a rough idea where we were at - before the driveline and rear end rebuild, so I think we should be fairly flush on Unca' Sam.

Cab Mate Suspension rebuild.

On the back of these here larger cars, is a Cab-Mate (Link) suspension unit that is just a slightly larger version of what supports the cab. Largely buggerized by the ICT/ARI crowd, in that it's fitted BEFORE a sleeper goes on. Joy. Garners' had worked on it prior, but I hadn't been engaged enough at the time.

It has 4 shocks and 3 air bags in a compact little setup with a levelling valve, cross support with bushings, and 2 bumper 'jounces' - that, were they there, would have prevented damage to the air bags I had replaced previously. So - getting hold of the right folks and amassing all parts - for $400 parts, and 8 hours labor ($800) at the shop (I was fetch and carry boy for free), I now have functioning, non leaking suspension on the sleeper. Boy, what a nasty little unit it was to remove and replace.

Number Nazi.

I've stopped hounding my friend about the Profit Guages. He uses it, but freely admits he loathes paperwork and number entry - I'm just glad he's got a system in order. I really find it helps. Especially in lean times and - well, January - in flatbed. He's tossing ideas of retiring early, can't say I blame him. He's got 14 years age on me, and has prepared well. But if he'd just stay current on those numbers, I think his outlook would be a little better.

So - after delivery of the 2nd load for the year, I'm at 2 loads. 1 OS/OD, 1 legal (well - to the shipper it was OSOD, to me, I figured it out legal). And I was looking for a reload back home, or a reposition in anticipation of another thing, then looking at the weather, then . . . the brain started to fry.

I got to within 600 miles of the house. Looked at the weather. Looked at the board. Looked at a lot of things. Then looked at the figures. Supposing I went home empty, and January is done with -

Miles 4,245
    Revenue $19,052
    Profit/Expense - 75/25%
    Days out 13

I committed to being a little sharper with the pencil this year - fuel, DH miles, etc. So - I have another percentage to track - DH vs. Loaded miles -

January - 48%DH - 52% Loaded.

Glad I looked at the figures. I went back over first quarters, and Januaries from the last 5 years. I was kinda surprised at how hard I'd worked for much less in years prior. Rather than engaging in a nasty cheap market now, I'll go home and regroup.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zmster2033

zmster2033 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Hungry Howies on ME !!

I'll have them deliver!!

Dave_in_AZ and zmster2033 Thank this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Well your still slacking, I did two loads in January, about the same miles but revenue was better. I’m home now till my favorite part of winter(spring). So now you have time to catch up.
    For the first time in many years my taxes are almost complete because I turned over all the book keeping to a professional, he has access to my corporate bank account and my LS settlements and Comdata.. I provide cash recipients and some personal stuff. He keeps me and corporation legal, should have done it year’s ago, sure makes wife happy..
    Now if he could help me with rearranging my garage and getting my new storage building arranged...

6. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Is this person local? I might be interested in doing the same.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    you’re speaking to my heart now, Blair.

your numbers are impressive for the month!

8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    F&F in Bethany

blairandgretchen and RStewart Thank this.
  9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    You know Blair, I used to stress out on DH miles until I figured out what the real cost was....then I just let it go.
    For example, usually I have to deadhead 160 +/- miles to go home. For me, that's 20 gallons of fuel. At $3 a gallon, that's $60.
    Now your average work a day joe is going to run up those numbers and more driving to work and back every week. So, in a way its like commuting miles for me.
    On the other hand, you tend to do some extreme stuff, so there's no telling.
    Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents

10. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Thanks.

Good point.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.