The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Well can I ask a question. who makes the best radiators for a truck I do a lot of I70 Denver to LA and am 80k to the dot both ways. I have a leak that just started and was going to just replace it and all the hoses and water pump at the same time (water pump is also starting to leak) but I would like to buy a really nice one to help with pulling mountains all the time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    @Ruthless has a good lead on quality drop ship radiators if I recall.

Im using this local guy - comes well recommended, and to my mechanics knowledge has never had one return. T-N-T , Goodman, MO - Todd I think was his name.

4. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Going to over state the obvious here. Of late the manufacturers have been going to plastic tanks and other cost savings measures. Unfortunately the different materials expand at different rates and leaks will develop quicker than an all brass or all aluminum unit. Also they are basically not repairable.

One of the keys things to look for in a replacement is all one material. Drop a couple of extra c-notes now to save yourself spending a bigger stack on a call-out/tow/engine later.

5. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Ya man I want to to buy the best so I don’t have this problem for a long time what do you recommend

6. NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Texas
    Just read this entire thread...so much good info in here, thanks for sharing all your numbers and tips. I'm not looking to drive OTR or be a super trucker like you and old man, but bought a truck to help out my other business (cranes). Still looking for all the info I can get and ran across your thread and it hooked me like a good romance novel, Lol. I have hauled cranes before so I know a little about being over size and over weight and how nerve racking it can be. Nothing but respect for you guys. Hope this crazy year can turn around for all of us soon. Stay safe out there.

Ringo1, Dave_in_AZ, dwells40 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Thanks! Glad it was of some help!

Tug Toy and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I replaced the radiator in my Freightliner cascadia a couple years ago. Freightliner wanted $2500 just for the radiator. I found an all aluminum one through Auto Zone, of all places, for $939 and they shipped it to the store for free. I just had to pick it up from my local store. I actually found it online but I went to the store to order it. Perfect direct fit and worked great. I sold the truck about 6 months later and last I knew it was still working great.

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Recored mine in December. Check engine light came on and coolant was pouring out the bottom. Temperature gauge was good.

So I said to myself, "Self, this is bad."

$2300 at Freightliner. No hook.

Ringo1, RStewart, tommymonza and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Ringo1

Ringo1 Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2014
    South Carolina
    Going back with a Holland I would suspect. I don't recall but I think you had an FW8 or FW17. The smaller of the Holland plates. I'd go back with the 3500 series Holland, with the jaw adjustment bolt in the nose.
    Although I was quite happy with the Jost that I put onto the truck, no regrets and it is a direct fit onto the Holland saddle.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  11. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I got a great deal on a 3500 at, of all places, Rush in Sealy, TX.

blairandgretchen and Ringo1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.