The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Blair, I will tell you that this isn’t the way you do it C8F0B0CB-37AC-413B-A48A-B0BB10D35B02.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Hrm. I'll bite. What is wrong there?

EDIT. Oh, I think I see it now. Darwin is definitely ready with an award for this driver.

4. F4T6UY

F4T6UY Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    He’s using the new telepathic brake lights and signals.

He’s light years ahead of all you newbs.

5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Huh. I didn't notice that.

I also didn't notice a headboard to keep those sheets of metal from cutting the driver in half if the load shifts forward into the cab.

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Oof. Yeah, I’d have cross chains of some form front and back on that.

I don’t have a headache rack, but I’d imagine 5,000 lbs of steel razor blade would cut through an aluminum head ache rack with enough force.

7. mudflap77

mudflap77 Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    Just make a little more noise so you know it's coming.

8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Sure, but no matter what, a decent headache rack would dramatically slow down something trying to cut through it. If you slow down fast enough to cut entirely through a decent headboard with sheet stock, the truck's engine is probably already in your lap.

9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Theres a thousand pictures available on google that disprove what you’re saying.

How long have you been flatbedding?

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    [​IMG]I don't think a headache rack would have stopped this.

Opus, BigBob410, PoleCrusher and 5 others Thank this.
  11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I get what you’re saying.

My first flatbed load was 2 Bass boats. I probably warped the trailer frames heaving on the straps and watched them like a hawk like they were going to bounce off the trailer with the slightest brake tap or turn.

It took me a while to get comfortable with open deck, but came to realize that 10 years driving with a sleeping wife behind me was the perfect training - I drove with an internal gyroscope, - it’s like the coffee cup on the dash trick, but we had to do it - else neither of us could rest, work, or be safe.

What I never know , is the brick wall scenario. When the load pictured by @Old Man ”worst case scenario “ is hit head on by another semi, or runs into a bridge abutment - what happens?

Not having the energy to set up the experiment, but having $1000 to bet - I’ll bet that an aluminum headache rack would offer only the slightest resistance to a poorly secured slab of steel in a high speed impact.

In which case, I’m just repeating your comment - yes, the engine is in your lap, and the ambulance won’t need to run the lights or siren on the way back to the hospital.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.