The last sapp brother has passed away.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by bzinger, Apr 15, 2019.

1. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Was the spaceway the one on the south side of the road with the big nice parking lot and good HOME cooked style food? If so I used to trade there religiously if in the area.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I worked in the shop for sapp bros
    20 years ago at the west O and council bluffs locations when my licence was suspended for 6 months ..was the lube bay foreman lol.
    It payed the Bill's.
    Got to meet Bill sapp once and he was a nice man .

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    Sapp Bros' truck stops are the best. Clean (sometimes unbelievably so), space, friendly, etc. and of course, few megas, always stop if it works that way.

austinmike and bzinger Thank this.
  6. hopefully the family keeps the name going like Delia Moon has
    with the whole Iowa 80 group and their locations. add another family name doesn't fall by the wayside but Burns brothers did back in the late 90s.

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. they both had Alzheimer's in their later years and died within days of each other..at least you're going to rebuild Percival it's closed for 1 year but they're rebuilding it so hopefully with a little luck it's going to be a proactive family.. and the Sapp Brothers name will continue. unlike some other places where the family doesn't want anything to do with running a truck stop hopefully it's going to be like the Moon family. Bill Moon started the Iowa 80 Walcott truck stop growing into an Empire the kids continue to grow it even more and are very active Deliia Moon oversees all operations of all Iowa 80 enterprises. including day-to-day operations of CAT scales and updates chocolate map and everything else that was started by Bill Moon. so hopefully Sapp Brothers will continue with that tradition and the Sapp family will continue to operate we can only hope.

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Hopefully so, it has been several years since I have been to one, but they were one of the hold outs as far as real truckstops go.

9. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Interesting - never stopped at the Iowa 80 place but remember seeing the signs - did stop at the Petro in Joplin and Oak grove MO a couple times and thought them quite nice -

Our History | Iowa 80 Truckstop

10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Iowa 80, is not my favorite by far, it has grown to somewhat of a truckers tourist trap. That said they do have just about anything trucking related you can think of IN STOCK. Some of it is very hard to find items, but they have it on the shelves.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.