The List Of Best Paying Companies For New Drivers

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by UKJ, Mar 23, 2015.

1. metallifreak10

metallifreak10 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Wishing I was in Alaska
    well, yeah advertisements from Crete say .45 with at least 1 year exp. I have no idea what their actual starting pay is, but On these boards I have seen people post that they're starting pay is anywhere from .40-.45. But, i'm just going by other people's words, I can't confirm that.

Well, when I was there in 2010 they had 7/7, 14/7, 7/4-7/3, otr 11/3, and regional 5-7 on 2 off. I was regional and it was more like 7-9 on and 3 off..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UKJ

UKJ Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Gotcha, I will call them today and double check. Yeah those are the schedules I remember seeing, I am just wondering if they let you double down like 14/14, 28/14, etc If they could bump their pay to around .40 like everyone else is doing and let you do otr 30/14 they'd be the perfect starter company imo between decent pay & hometime, they'd pretty much have everyone beat hands down.

4. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    This reminds me of this.........

[video=youtube_share;Sa0EtdtPi8w]http://youtu.be/Sa0EtdtPi8w[/video]

just saying. Two really bad hip hop "songs"

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    UKJ Thanks this.
  5. metallifreak10

Aug 20, 2010
    Wishing I was in Alaska
    From what I've read, Crete pays $600 a week for training, then .35 after the training. However, those were the rates for 2014, they raised pay .02 on January 1st, so you are dead on when you said .37. I also read that you get the regular fleet rate after 6 months, which after the .02 raise should be .47 now. If that's true, making .47 with just 6 months experience isn't too bad.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wonder why they have such a horrendous turnover in drivers since their pay is so great.

7. metallifreak10

Aug 20, 2010
    Wishing I was in Alaska
    Their home time kinda sucks.

8. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    I didn't bother to read through all the pages, just the first few, so this might have been covered. But... if your #1 criteria is that said companies must hire students and / or having a training program, then you're missing the LTL world. The main point of this thread is to show rates of cpm. Obviously the highest cpm available is knowledge any student driver or experienced driver would be somewhat interested in. The only kicker with LTL is that the job opportunities are more limited to location. Note that the old adage of "2 years or more experience required" is outdated. Estes, Old Dominion, ABF, Conway-Freight, and many other LTL companies will and do hire student drivers. Some have their own training / school, where somebody without a CDL can earn one and get paid for it while at their respective LTL company.

I was hired at .55 cpm as a student driver, fresh out of trucking school. No previous experience. I'm a linehaul driver. I'm now at .57 cpm. In two years I'll top out at 60+ cpm.

Unless you're just sticking to the truckload sector, LTL should be listed as well. Most of them will be the new leaders in your highest cpm list of companies, should you include them. I know there are many student drivers that would love to know this information, possibly the least reason being so that they are aware that they don't HAVE to go OTR to have a trucking career, or to get one started.

9. metallifreak10

Aug 20, 2010
    Wishing I was in Alaska
    The problem with LTL for newbies is that they still prefer experienced and student driver positions are limited. Around me in the Chicagoland area, there are tons of LTL jobs. But, as you stated, all you got to do is go 2 hours outside of Chicago and there isn't anything but OTR. My problem with most LTL is you are usually working 65+ hours a week. I work 41-43 hours a week at a route driver myself, and let me tell you, it'd be hard to leave my job for a a job pushes your clock every week. Don't get me wrong they are great careers though, my Dad raised us 7 kids by his job at Yellow. But, he was miserable. He worked 12-14 hours, then come home just to sleep, then go right back to work.

UKJ Thanks this.
  10. UKJ

UKJ Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Yes, LTL is too sketchy about if they'll hire a student or not. one day they will, next day they won't etc. So we're only listing companies that take fresh CDL's no questions asked and isn't dependent on if they need a driver today or not.

11. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Wait... truckers aren't allowed to front hug the ladies? No wonder there is a trucker shortage. Every time I come to grips with the realities of trucking another shoe drops ;(

UKJ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.