The most ridiculously expensive equipment you've hauled.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by jerezxp7, Sep 12, 2015.

1. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Lets just say more than once there's been 9 digits before the decimal point.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Not sure of the actual value, load information stated "Extremely Valuable!!!" I picked up 2 slabs of an experimental alloy in Kokomo Indiana and took it to a processor in Middletown Ohio, dropped those two and picked up two others and took them back. The bills stated Nickle alloy, when I asked the guy there what they were he stated a new experimental nickle alloy for NASA. When i asked what they were gonna do with it, he said they were planning on using it to make parts for some new equipment. They didnt care if I used chains to secure it, he said wasnt nothing going to scratch it.

jerezxp7 Thanks this.
  4. jerezxp7

jerezxp7 Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    Foxcover Thanks this.
  5. saddlesore

saddlesore Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    The Great NorthWet
    Just my standard response to those who want to get into the high dollah oversize aerospace/aircraft freight.
    A successful driver must have the innate ability to see what needs to be done, do what needs to be done and "thread the needle" driving ability .Driver training can only give a driver the basic's.
    The members of this forum by and large have the innate abilities and proven themselves to do the job at hand without succumbing to the "deer in the headlights or buck fever" stress reactions experienced by some beginner O/D drivers.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  6. jerezxp7

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    True words well said. I think also we are drivers that haul oversize frieght sometimes into city centers roads are blocked off traffic rerouted when time and time again we do what has to be done and it's the kind of driving that would crisp the average drivers hair we trust our ability and so hauling expensive freight is not something we put alot of thought into it just another job that needs to get done. It's neat thou seeing what some of you guys haul very impressive.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  7. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    Last week hauled three pipe pulse units, stated value was 1.1 million.
    When working as a contractor in Iraq hauled $200,000 Cash in my back pack while traveling between FOB's on a regular basis.

CanadianVaquero and jerezxp7 Thank this.
  8. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    I'd love to do this type of work. I love a challenge and when obstacles pop up I always find a way around or thru them. I get even more motivated when someone tells me a certain task can't be done safely or for many other reasons and I say "watch me". I wouldn't consider myself a heavy hauler. Right now I haul stone! With permits I'm good to 117k and I'm bored to death with it. But this thread is awesome! Keep it going guys and girls

Dominick253 and jerezxp7 Thank this.
  9. jerezxp7

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    I started this post and even I am amazed at what some of you drivers are hauling pretty awesome. Thanks everyone

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    It's problem solving. Shipper says, "I need a Transporter. I need a load moved." They know who you are, because you have proven time and again that you are an A game player. They give you the dims on the load, and you start doing your homework. If that load has half a million man-hours on it, it is extremely expensive. But just as saddlesore brought out, it's just another load. If the DOT classify something as a 'superload', the rules change, but its still just another load. These guys will treat that $100,000 load the same way they would the 100,000,000 load. It's like a fighter, EVERY fight is an important fight. The first time you slack in the fight, you get your arse handed to you. The first time you slack on a load, something devastating to your name and career happens.

The funny thing is, everyone here has had mishaps. Something went wrong. Dims were way off on the load. Road construction. Pole car hit a bridge. Weather curfew. Fuel stops too far away (on the bigger loads, this will be a problem). There's almost always something that goes wrong.

Pulled a load out of Ct to Miss, oversized, aircraft ($$$$$). Routed down I81. Stopped at Whites at the 205, got a room. Next morning, I strike out southbound. Saw a sign about the road being closed and a detour. I called Virginia and tried to get my permit amended so I wouldnt have to take the detour. They wouldnt amend it and I had to do the detour, US11. There was a hazmat spill and both sides of 81 were closed. They routed all traffic up US11. Every big load there was had to share 2 skinny lanes. We were taking wide spots in the road and taking turns passing each other. Of course, with all the other traffic, this made for an extremely slow process. Going up a steep hill a truck burned out his clutch. It just wouldnt give him enough friction to climb the hill. Got back to the interstate, and I hear about another accident at the Tn/Va line and the road shut down. It was late afternoon, so I stopped in Glade Springs at the Petro and called it an night. It took all day to run less than 200 miles. I had planned to be within striking distance of Memphis, but that wasn't happening.

jerezxp7 and Superhauler Thank this.
  11. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    patience and problem solving is an art form with a little common sense thrown in doing this kinda work. it is a learned art form, you are not born with it.

jerezxp7, TripleSix and macavoy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.