The new volvo VNL design.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Johny41, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmm, ive been waiting to see this ,looking for new truck; what a lack of imagination, disappointing after 15 years running same design, the update is minimal, very few changes in exterior design. Freightliner came with more imagination and futuristic design, from what i see even mechanically is superior more reliable, well i hope they fixed the #### injector cups. :(

Shock Therapy and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Keeping the same body style for 15 years means I get to use my antenna brackets for the entire 15 years even if I switch out to a new truck. Once they change the body style or the rear fairings on the truck then I have to re-Engineer a new antenna mounting system which ends up costing me money.

poppapump1332 and Johny41 Thank this.
  4. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Looks like they made the front fenders a little less ugly...
    I drive a 2016 that the boss got brand new back in February. After 60k miles I have no complaints..just small minor warranty work.
    This one has a Cummins 500hp with a 13 speed Eaton. He never would have purchased it if it had the Volvo engine.

5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The VNL 760 replaces the 670 and it's a vast improvement over the former as one of the biggest complaints was the sleeper was too narrow and small and I believe Volvo concentrated on redesigning the 670 as it wanted to increase sales of it's mid range truck as the premium 780 is already one of the best solo and team trucks on the road.

As far as re-engineering a whole new truck, it costs billions of dollars and Freightliner didn't come up with a whole new Cascadia when it introduced the new Cascadia this year, same cab, different hood, skirts and headlights.

Johny41 Thanks this.
  6. Johny41

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    What am i talking, actually, it's been over 20 years since are milking about same design.Just look at other brands 20 years ago and now, but Volvos look the same. My first was a Volvo 770, and the transition to 780 ,in 2003, was dome same manner, with minimum investment in design;, poorly designed fairings ( you see them everywhere along the interstates ), same tight overcrowded engine compartment and they changed the headlights to worst, blurry and more expensive.
    I found two more videos recently uploaded by Volvo; I don't know , need to buy a truck, I've been addicted to Volvos for 20 years like most European truckers, but i'm going to look around .

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    What's up with the hood mirrors? Looks like they think you need to see the back of the trailer with them...

Johny41 Thanks this.
  8. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    IMG_2115.JPG
    That's why I like the mack still has the full mirror bracket!

stacks, rabbiporkchop and Johny41 Thank this.
  9. Johny41

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Talking about mirrors, Volvo only keeps this primitive mirrors two mounting points and wide plastic frame increasing the blind spots with few more degrees from driver position.

Cascadia 2018, looks better than Volvo, just my opinion ;

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    A D13 will go almost twice as far before in frame as the average Cummins ISX .... Lol

I'm very disappointed they didn't bring the FH euro interior to the US market!!

11. Johny41

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Yep, i parked it, selling it for parts with 1,833,000 miles without in-frame, engine still running great, transmission, differentials, but my frame is twisted , i sprayed it every winter but it's done after 10 years on salted roads, i got some corrosion affecting the huck bolts assembly, the frame got flimsy weak ;

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.