The Nikola 1 - Not what you thought it would be....

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by cnsper, Sep 3, 2016.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    http://www.livetrucking.com/the-nikola-one-is-switching-sides-from-battery-power-to-hydrogen-power/
    [​IMG]

"The Nikola Motor Company stirred confusion after they publicly disclosed their plan to back down from their original battery-electric powered Nikola One semi-truck.

The company’s initial announcement of a zero emission fully electric semi went viral, and the Nikola Motor Company even collected $10.5 million in pre-order deposits across 7,000 buyers. Regardless of what they promised to offer, the company is now replacing the idea with something entirely different, unbeknownst to already paying customers.

The original Nikola One was promised to have 6 electric motors, a 320 kWh battery pack, more than 2,000 horsepower and 3,700-plus ft. lbs. of torque before gear reduction, and nearly 86,000 ft. lbs. of torque after gear reduction.

But now, the company plans to unveil a different truck in December—and it runs on hydrogen. The new design will only allow for 1,000 horsepower and 2,000 pound-feet of torque.

In addition, hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles get less mileage than an electric vehicle before needing to refuel, and must be filled up at a fuel-station instead of being charged from a power outlet.

Autoblog pointed out that “battery-powered cars are roughly three-times more efficient than ones that use hydrogen. There’s also a lack of infrastructure to support hydrogen vehicles, which would make refueling nearly impossible.”

In a press release, Nikola Motor CEO Trevor Milton addressed concerns. He explained that the company plans to build zero-emission solar farms that will create hydrogen from water in a process of electrolysis. The company says they will have 50 hydrogen stations used to refuel the vehicles available by 2020.

But chances are investors and customers alike will have a hard time believing anything that comes from this company until we actually see it."

I remember folks getting all wet over this one.... Looks like they should have waited a bit longer... LOL

wore out and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bluerider

bluerider Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Washington, DC
    The more I read about it the more it sounds like a perpetual motion machine or cold fusion. Looks good though. Trains and submarines run on diesel/electric power but they don't have to climb the grades trucks do. Too bad about that thing called physics.

4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I guess they took their queue from Ford's version in 1964.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Anyone have stock info? Do you think just maybe the whole thing was designed to drive it up really fast so a few can cash out and now it's likely gone way down?

6. bluerider

bluerider Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Washington, DC
    They haven't had an IPO yet. They're still fishing for 1st round venture capital.

diesel drinker Thanks this.
  7. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Sounds like another Elio Motors.
    That company has spent almost 9 years trying to build a car that 60,000 people have placed orders for. They still haven't made a single unit.
    Every year production gets pushed back due to some problem or other setback.

tucker Thanks this.
  8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I'll order mine when it's driverless and has Jacuzzi and wet bar.

9. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    It is just another money making scheme to bilk investors.

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Maybe it'll be on American greed in the future. Good show.

bzinger Thanks this.
  11. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I love 50's-60's concepts.

Just realized though, backing that would be problematic.

(Just kidding, I know they're turnpike doubles)

I don't know what's more amusing, the onboard coffee dispenser in the "galley" or that they felt the need to paint a highway map on the backsplash.
    Hahahah.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.