The Northeast

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Clara3, Oct 20, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I never minded the north east, as long as I was in upstate or away from the major cities, Just too many people and too much traffic for a country boy, with little patience for idiots. lol

I also didn't like picking up or delivering in chicago, miami, many parts of houston dallas, pretty much anything in CAli, and the list goes on. lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Had 1 run to Detroit as I was reloading the shipper said if I was close on hours they would lock me in the yard overnight. It was too dangerous outside their fence.

FlaSwampRat, D.Tibbitt and Coffey Thank this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Us locals love the northeast...... but I park at home . And don’t get paid by the mile.

The less miles the better I say ...:)

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I started off in the NE after I got clear of the Kentucky-WVa-Baltimore Dedicated GM glass in the winter of about 89. It was my first team trainer, my first really good logbook training among other things. Bruton Mills is still there serving breakfast anytime at the counter. And I ran the midatlantic before that including Lancaster and so forth which was essentially my home ground.

The NE is it's own world. As a USA, they are a parasite on the entire USA> They demand everything. Especially meat, produce and food. And ship very little. They ship some. Emphasis on some. Pretzels out of Hanover comes to mind. You really cannot make a living on pretzels. But they do.

In Baltimore there is a place that make country Crock butter, Shedds Vandenburgh In SW just inside the loop. Once you load it's going to the NE. If youre lucky you get to unload it at Hunts Point NYC via the GWB next morning then race to Elmira in western NY by afternoon to get Salt, bagged. Pallets of Salt from a Akzo saltmine under the lake. When they tell me to swing the trailer for the dock area do not let the outside wheels fall into Seneca Lakes they really mean do not let those wheels fall into the water. Its that tight.

Boston before, during and after the big dig has no parking. Still has no parking for big rigs.

And the rest of it? HA.... they are their own world. Im happy to be done with it.

Frankly its not worth the aggravation, lost miles (Your payroll...) and lost time waiting on them up there for everything. Literally hardly worth the freight up there from anywhere west. But again, they need to eat, they need to have everything. But what do they do with it? Outside of the Military, #### little these days.

D.Tibbitt, Coffey and Tx Countryboy Thank this.
  6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    If you live here you know what and where to go. Yet I wont drive on Long Island NY. If the company respects me, I would much rather a load to NJ than anywhere in NY south of the Tappan Zee bridge.

BTW? I live in Maine about an hour from the canadian border

D.Tibbitt, x1Heavy and Coffey Thank this.
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I picked up once in Ks city, you had to get out and punch a button to get them to open the gate, then they closed it behind you. Then it was the same procedure to get in the building to see anybody. lol

I delivered in the LA area to a place I called and ask if I could sleep on the street there, if I got there in the night. I was told I could but didn't want to. He told me to wait till they were open and when I pulled up to get on the horn and they would send someone out to open the gate, then lock it behind me. lol
    You just have to love some of the places we get to visit. lol
    I was loading in Chicago the morning after Obummers victory party, I had been going in and sleeping on the street where I was loading, but decided to hang out in Indiana for that circus. lol

D.Tibbitt, x1Heavy and Tx Countryboy Thank this.
  8. Tx Countryboy

Sep 18, 2019
    Gate in gate out. Then hit buzzer on door walk inside & put papers in slot. Windows dark out can't see anyone. Same way getting signed bills. Lol

D.Tibbitt, Upinsmoke and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. Tx Countryboy

Sep 18, 2019
    Hauled to prisons a few times. You never get out of truck. They open & close trailer doors . get bol & return. Armed guards everywhere watching you.

D.Tibbitt and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I have spent about a dozen nights in Detroit so far, never locked in anything. lol

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. Tx Countryboy

Sep 18, 2019
    Was paper back then so after loaded got out of there.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.