The Northeast

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Clara3, Oct 20, 2019.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    From what I have read Baton Rogue is the worst crime area in the country. Or surrounding areas. I haven't driven into New Orleans yet. From what I hear it's a party hard area, enjoy yourself, but also risk a lot.

Probably exaggerated like most other places. I want to visit NYC. Want to hear the closing market bell in person. DING DING DING DING

D.Tibbitt, FlaSwampRat and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I never took a truck down there but I lived there for four years when I was going to college.
    Take a 17 year old kid that's never been outside of northern California and plop him down in the middle of all that and things get interesting in a hurry.

4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Lord, if I had been thrown in there at 17, I probably would have not turned out the same, but I would have had me some fun. lol
    I got some bad directions there and wound up in and old residential part of town with a 53 foot van, talk about interesting finding my way back out of that mess. lol

5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Don't worry, you spend all your money on whiskey and wild women anyway. If you went to New Orleans you would still be good. Maybe just out a few more dollars for those Hawaii looking necklaces things with flowers that look like crap anyway.

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I didn't say I never had a good time in new orleans, I said it would not have been good for me to have lived there when I was 17 . lol

there were lots of smaller lowsiana towns I actually preffered to party at when I was younger. There was a few years there till I was 25 or so, that I spent quite a bit of time in the bayou state.

D.Tibbitt and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have.

Sirloin steak in institutional rolls for export at the port down there. Forklift ruined some of the boxes and OSD in FFE demanded the weights down to the 10th of pound on a total of 68 pounds refused steaks and serial numbers etc.

What OSD did not know that day was I had two people with cold cash ready to take care of those steaks if they said the words throw it away. They were nice about it and the steaks were turned over to (Resold) to whole sale.

New Orleans is something of a mess constantly and I think Katrina cleared some of it out. I have no idea what they would be like now however I understand Hammond is just as hard as ever.

8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I don't mean this in any sort of condescending way, I ask because I haven't been to very many "parties."

What is the difference between having a party in New Orleans and having a party out in the country in some no nothing area in Louisiana?

bzinger and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Why go to the north east or Cali and burn your clock for the same pay as going 70 down the open road.

10. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    That's why I'm paid by the hour!

11. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Exactly. Still don't like sitting in traffic but at least it doesn't hurt the paycheck.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.