the reefer biz

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by chicago bear, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chicago bear

chicago bear Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I am going to be starting up a reefer division to go along with our steel division does anyone have any important information that is useful? I have never dealt with reefers just flatbedding but it seems to be pretty easy or am i in for a huge suprise?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    1. You will become a regular at Truckwashes... most of these NAZI shippers will refuse trailers from simple pallet debris and regular loading dirt...the same debris and dirt that they will put in the trailer from loading it...

2. If Drop and Hook, you will be stopping to put 4 gallons in the reefer so it reads full, cause they are NAZI's about full reefers too.

3. Get a code book for the type of reefer you pull, you can sometimes save yourself a trip to the TK or Carrier dealer....

4. ANTI-GEL in WINTER ALWAYS...

5. Before taking an MT, check reefer to make sure it works...if not move on....you could report it, and then get stuck taking it for service, I just move on...

6. Duct tape and cheap tube of silicone for pesky old "holy" trailers, again, might save you time keep you from getting trailer refused for holes...

7. Hammer, unsealed doors on freezer loads sometimes make a 4 foot wall of ice behind the door...

I think reefer is pretty easy, you have some pluses, most of the time it is a food product and requires a shipper seal, making multiple p/u's almost non exhistant....I once had a load, that was 2 pallets and went from Wisconsin to Florida.....

K

4. bubbavirus

bubbavirus Medium Load Member

reffer motors worse than engine idle...

5. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

ANother tip- carry a can of coffee grounds in your truck, for those trailers that you get washed out and still smell a little strange. And a good truck stop guide, for those times that you're a in a new area and aren't sure where you can get a washout.

Once you get used to the reefer, you won't notice it.

6. Bucks Owin

Bucks Owin Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Reefers? Besides the aforementioned stuff like clean, sweet smelling and pre-chilled trailer, be prepared to deal with high priced lumpers. ($125+ is not uncommon, especially if there's any "breakdown" or sorting of the frozen loads) Reefer noise? You'll get used to it (and be tired enough that you don't care!) although you won't be too popular in the truck stops if you park among some "quiet" trucks. Some places have "reefer only" parking...

Gonna haul produce straight from the shipper's field? I've sat in huge parking lots down in Yuma and Nogales with 50+ other trucks monitoring the CB all night (instead of sleeping) waiting to be called to the dock. You'll learn a LOT of patience! Be prepared for recievers who don't feel that the quality of the produce you busted your hump expediting to them is up to par. They can refuse the load and you'll be looking for a broker to get your trailer empty....

Reefers? Plenty of hassles, few rewards! Been there, done that for a long long 7 yrs...

BO

7. lookingup

lookingup Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2006
    why not break open a lemon, coffee grounds might lead to search and frisk

8. Rage669

Rage669 Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2007
    western NY
    is it safe to assume that you will be hauling steel in the reafer's?

9. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

It's worth it, a lemon (or several tons) won't remove the stench of a trailer that sat with the ducted floor full of blood (long enough that the trlr had maggots in it) for about a week in Columbus OH, in July.

10. bigjoe

bigjoe Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2007
    I am going to be starting up a reefer division to go along with our steel division
    I take it these are your trucks? not knowing anything about reefer I would get info first.produce and frozen are two different worlds.the first two years I started pulling reefer I paid dearly for my education.not trying to scare you,but there is a lot of info needed just like steel hauling.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    Avoid frozen loads to Vegas in the Summer. That desert can be a nightmare on reefers, and melting ice cream is no fun at all.

Neither is sitting around all day waiting on it to get dark outside so your trailer will pre-cool enough to be accepted by a shipper out of there.

Don't trust the reefer to defrost on its own, especially in the summer, and especially hauling wet produce.

Reefers are annoying. Especially the older ones whee the doors rattle and the motor seems twice as loud as others.

***Check reefers closely before taking an empty. Not just fuel level, and not just that it runs. Make sure it cools quickly, or heats quickly, depending on where you are. Make sure all the fluids are full, let it run for a few minutes and check for any signs of coolant leaks. If it was low on coolant when you pick it up, there is probably a reason, either a leak, or a head gasket problem.***

One last thing, wet boxes don't handle hard driving very well. Avoid sudden stops, hard turns, anything that will move those boxes more than necessary. If not, you are liable to end up covered in lettuce and tomatoes when you open the doors.

Ok, really the last thing :) - Open the doors very slowly when you are at the receiver. (remember the wet box comment)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.