The REST Act, some sensible legislation?!?!

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Michael H, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    HR 5417, the REST act proposes letting us stop the 14 hour clock for up to three hours. Could this be the wonderful nap we’ve been yearning for? The one thing everyone agrees on is it sucks to not be able to pause the clock for a nap.

This is like finding a four leaf clover, catching a unicorn, and finding gold at the end of a rainbow all rolled into one!

Someone pinch me! Is congress actually proposing something that makes sense?!?!?!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Eliminating the mandatory 30 minute break is a plus imo. I would treat it as a normal 14 hour day with no required break. In that regard it’s better.

However if a shipper/receiver uses that 3 hours as an excuse to drag their butts, than that’s a bad thing.

deathB4decaf, jammer910Z and Jazz1 Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It is a bs bill. Won't really address the issues we need to address and it was created to stop the whining.

sevenmph and AZ Pete Thank this.
  5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    They should put in the bill you can't extend pass the 14 hour at the same place you are loading/unloading. So it's not abused and just used to keep driver atthe dock for 3 more hours for free.

Then we will see how may driver are really stopping to rest or for traffic vs driver just wanting to sit at load/unloading for free then pull a 17 hour work day.

6. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Flexibility is what I need for my business. Will I work 17 hour days? Not unless I can help it. Will I let my dispatch compell me to work 17 hrs just because I can? Nope. Will I take a nap while in dock or while waiting for traffic to unsnarl or fog to lift. You betcha and I will be grateful to not lose half a day because of it. Is it the total solution to hos whipping my business around. Nope to that too but I'll take this and thank the congressman for it.

jammer910Z and sealevel Thank this.
  7. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    It'll end up being written so it's just more micro-managing like the 30 break.

sevenmph and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just return it back to the old HOS without the exceptions and BS. it worked well enough for 40 years, we didn't have the carnage on the roads with those HOS and we had the flexibility we needed.

THIS is really all we need. The ELD will have to adapt to our needs, not the other way around.

BUT this bill won't do a thing for us.

Sublime Thanks this.
  9. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    To be honest, I expect to see a whole new generation of YouTubers using the 3 hours to complain about all things trucking, on the internet.

When I was running irregular loads all over the north east, it always surprised me how many guys would spend the 2-3 hours on the dock chatting, smoking and repeating stories that we all knew were 90% lies and 10% BS instead of resting. Then, come 8pm, they’re too exhausted to make it to their pickup.

Personally, this rule change won’t really affect me because I seldom make deliveries in the middle of my day. I try to make sure I am starting or ending my day where I switch trailers, unload, etc. Occasionally, it would be nice to stop for traffic without eating up my shift.

However, I recognize that someone is recognizing the problem and proposing solutions. This was my single greatest hope for ELDs - get everyone following the laws so that lawmakers can see just how ineffective the HOS laws are, as written. Looks like a step in the right direction.

Trucker61016 and UturnGirl Thank this.
  10. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    H.B 000 Eliminates HOS all together, allows drivers to drive until he/she feels they are tired, and need the required 8- 10 hrs rest. Under the new H.B if a driver causes a wreck loses their CDL for Life, if death occurs due to negligence on the drivers behalf. He/she loses CDL for life, and faces prison time for vehicular manslaughter. If driver is found at fault for an accident (minor fender bender) he/she is required to pay for damages (cannot take it through insurance). Thus, this will lower insurance rates for the rest of us.

11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    It’s sad that we would now need laws to dictate personal responsibility.
    When I grew up you had personal responsibility and there was no laws to mandate it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.