The rise of trucking accidents

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by iceman32, Nov 24, 2018.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You can scream in the wind as much as you want. There are no stats that actually support this though.
    Let's see what stats we have.... As posted above, stats from A&I online - Motor Carrier Analysis and Information Resources Online

This is for the total number of crashes per calendar year. Not adjusted for VMT
    2014-2015 - 5.4% increase
    2015-2016 - 3.92% increase
    2016-2017 - 1.62% increase
    2017-2018 - No data, year isn't over.

Now, if use the data for the fiscal year, which is October to October, which we do have.... Again, not adjusted for VMT
    2014-2015 - 4.77% increase
    2015-2016 - 5.4% increase
    2016-2017 - 0.98% increase
    2017-2018 - 20.07% decrease (I suspect those numbers will change when more data comes in)

Just because you hate ELD's does not mean trucks are less safe as a whole. Heck, even if there was a raise in crashes, adjusted for VMT, there is no telling that ELD's would even be the cause. SImply no way to measure that,

As it is though, the absolute numbers look to show exactly the opposite, to a good degree. I'll withhold judgement until we get some official numbers in though.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    People in a hurry because of ELD’s? Maybe. More trucks on the road which means more new and inexperienced drivers? Maybe.

KB3MMX and Accidental Trucker Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Exactly right.

ZVar, Long FLD and magoo68 Thank this.
  5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    When the number of registered vehicles go up each year, it is only reasonable to expect the number of accidents to go up.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA

Okay Zvar,

You can keep your ELD is you think it magically makes anyone "safer".
    No problem, enjoy !

I'll prefer the freedom, efficiency and common sense with the cheaper , proven way, paper logbooks.

Did you notice all the accidents in the emergency declaration areas historically from the exemption of HOS ?

7. DenBob

DenBob Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    I can't imagine being triggered into such behavior by an ELD. I think those described above have deeper issues. I run a few minutes over on an 11 or 14 perhaps once a month. If I'm 15 minutes from home terminal and out of hours I just keep on moving til I'm done. Never faced even a slap on the wrist for it. My company shrugs it off if they notice at all, they even recommended doing so if necessary in orientation, and I have never had a cop look at my logs in 5 years driving. And if I did face penalties or aggravation for it I could reduce such incidents to once or twice a year without much trouble. Meanwhile I appreciate never having to fuss with a pen and paper logbook again, spending 15 minutes at the end of a long shift making sure my figures and miles add up and my lines are perfectly straight and what not.

06driver and REO6205 Thank this.
  8. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    You'd think, but that's not what I see. Couple of months ago I rode along with our #1 driver to visit some customers. We were pushing the clock a little, so I suggested pushing the 30 minute break out. We ended up pulling into the truck stop three minutes over.

The driver was sweating it. Big time. For about an hour, he kept looking at the clocks, worrying if he was going to make it. When we went over, it was like a balloon deflated; all dejected and worried.

Next day, at the office, the lady that does the log reviews confronts me with a "did you know you had a violation? What happened.?"

It was three cotton pickin minutes, but you'd think somebody kidnapped a blond, blue eyed baby......

KB3MMX and magoo68 Thank this.
  9. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    That would be an issue with your company.

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If our drivers bust their HOS by five or ten or even fifteen minutes it's not the end of the world.
    If a guy has been out all week or even out all day and he has to run over his time by a few minutes to get to the yard or a decent motel we're not going to burn him for it.;
    We'll let him know that running hot is against the company rules and against the law and it won't be tolerated or condoned. But when it does happen, as long as it doesn't happen too often or because of lack of planning...well, that's just the way it goes.
    We just finished our BIT and the included HOS audit. We had seven or eight instances of running over HOS for thirty drivers. That covered a two year period, too. I think the biggest one was twelve minutes.
    The DOT inspector made note of it, cautioned us against running over HOS, and that was the last we heard of it.
    If your company is so paranoid about busting the HOS occasionally they need to relax. If you're not already on the DOT's bad guy list I doubt that a few minutes of overage would get you in serious trouble.
    There's too many companies and drivers out there that exist in a continual state of panic because of HOS rules.
    Do the best you can at planning but don't give yourself a coronary if you bust the HOS by a few minutes.

06driver Thanks this.
  11. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I suppose since I own the company the problem is with me, but it isn't. I'm not worried one whit about 3 minutes over, and I am POSITIVE even Oregon DOT doesn't care...... but somehow, when it's on the computer, with a RED, "VIOLATION" remark, people react funny to it. It is what it is.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.