the Roehl way....yeah right

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by southcross1, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southcross1

southcross1 Bobtail Member

May 17, 2008
    temple, texas
    I went from Swift over to Roehl. Better money, better everything? Just the opposite.

I was placed on the Honor program, since I was a Military Vet. $1590 Bi-weekly. I'd run about 450-650miles a day, 3000+ in 7days. Less in 5% idle. No one single accident or citation. I drive to be a professional.

Then the true colors came out after just four months. My DSR was dishonest most of the time. More of, "Your just a DUMB driver" then anything else. The company turned out to be quite dishonest and unfeeling about a drivers family. Let me explain some fun times with Roehl....

Fun Times #1

My Freightliner had the coolant sensor go out. I was told to jerry rig the wires to the sensor. Not a problem, and off I went. The truck cut off in a one lane construction zone and I almost caused a major wreak. After 7 calls to my DSR and maintenance, and two more rigging of the wires, I was told twice that they would find a vendor to repair the truck. Which never happened. I expressed not only to maintenance, but my DSR, that I did not feel the truck was safe to operate, with the possibility of shutting down again in traffic. I was still told by both my DSR and maint. to drive another 600miles to consignee and then to the Ellenwood terminal for repairs. I then called a Freightliner dealer ship in Texas. They gave me advice on how to get the truck down the road. And that the warranty on the truck was voided, the second, Roehl's maintenance dept told me to rig the wires. I had to stop every 100miles to make sure the truck was safe to operate. After all, Safety is the corner stone value right?

Fun Times #2.

My pay was incorrect. My DSR explained, "Call payroll". So I did. No help. My DSR then told me call the my recruiter. She swore that there was no problem. At this point I was tired of having to drive, and going in circles to fix my check. I informed my DSR, that if my check was not fixed, I would quit. Surprise...it was fixed.

Fun Times #3

My DSR would call my cell phone, and leave massages, that needed to go through the datalink on the truck. Here's one example: I went to the doctor on monday for a injury that happen on Sunday. I received a release to drive for tuesday. And I take off that tuesday morning. 6days later, I was given a drug test at the next terminal. They told me it was random. The next day, my wife informs me I have a voice mail on my phone. I check to find that my DSR left a message 7days ago, that I needed to call someone at the company for a release to drive. Not one message about this on the datalink. My phone never showed the call from him, as T-Mobile tends to not list calls in a no service area. It's happens all the time. But the datalink does not have that problem. It was not a random test, they thought I was stupid enough to drive on pain meds, and wanted to "catch me" doing so. My family travels the road. I drive like their in every car I meet on the road. Drug test away....

Fun Times #4

The salary pay is at the expense of the other drivers. I would get runs before company drivers that were not on the salary. I was once given a run to NY. I expressed that I did not feel safe driving in that state on the qauilcomm' Then like always, I get "Call Me". I call and my DSR tells me that he'll change the run and relay it at Richmond. "This one time". At the relay yard, I find another driver quite disgusted. He was due home and the run I was place on (NY) was the run he takes to go home. They wanted me to take it, as I could have done it cheaper. Disregarding that the other driver wanted to get home to see his family. I typed out a meassage and ask about the run. I expressed to him how I felt the Honor program was taking away from the other driver pay. His reply was simply, "We gotta make money someway"

And the most fun of all times

I call my DSR and explain that my wife is having a hard time. (My wife was badly needing a break from being a single mom and was so disgusted at the time, she offered to divorce me).I typed a meassge on the recorded datalink, to the effect, I needed family leave and expressed I did not want to resign, and I would come of leave as soon as I could make sure my family wasn't falling apart. I also call my DSR directly and explained the same. I needed to take some leave. He seemed to have had no problems with me doing so, as he advised me to take care of my family. But I needed to call a contact he gave me. I call three times that day. No answer, I leave a message. No one called me back.

On the next day, I get a message on the datalink, saying they needed to know where the truck was so they could "recover it". Not a problem, as the company needs to make the money. I give directions to were the truck is at. I cleaned the truck to issue condition. I take the mattress out as federal law requires a company to issue a new one for a new driver. I wouldn't want a nasty bed, and I'm not giving one to another driver. (the mattress in the truck was not new when the truck was issued to me. Unless new ones come with cig burns.)

Then comes the mail. I receive a letter stating my issuance was canceled two days after my discussion with my DSR, even though I already paid for the entire month. The reason stated to the insurance was, "Driver resigned". I never resigned of offered to do so.

Then the next letter. I receive a letter from Roehl, stating that I was being charged to recover the truck, supplies, deposits, and for a mattress. And that the abandonment of the truck could be charged for not taking it to the Garland yard. 2hours away and not a hard drive. I was never told to take the truck to the yard. They never sent a message to that effect either. Simply asked directions to the trucks location.

I was with Swift for three years. Sometimes hard to work for, but they try their best to take care of you and your family. And I make the mistake of going to a such a dishonest company. One that cares more of the bottom line then a drivers family.

I'm employed with another company now. After I explained how Roehl treated a driver, They told me, "We know all about them"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. evolutioncalling

evolutioncalling Medium Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Sorry to hear you had that experience. However, it sounds like the weight of these claims should be placed on the DSR, not the entire company. We DO have bad DSRs here, though I have been lucky enough not to encounter one. I am on the Honor Program, and while I run hard, I am not run into the ground. I have been treated fairly, and they work with me. Bad experiences are sure to happen and it sounds like your DSR is the one to blame. Best of luck.

4. vetteslayer

vetteslayer Bobtail Member

May 14, 2008
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Wow, i'm sorry to about that. I wish you best of luck with your new company.

5. Homeboy

Homeboy Light Load Member

May 5, 2006
    touchin' em all
    The DSR is the company, the direct link to the company, for the driver. And don't think for a moment that the DSR makes any decision on their own. My experience with Roehl were very similar to the OP's, (indifferent DSR's, confrontational fleet manager, unfriendly support staff).
    Get one thing clear; Roehl does not care one iota if you stay or go. Actually, they make more money off of you if you quit. That free's up another space in the much heralded RDTC, at almost $3,000/pop, and the government kickback they get on the fuel and equipment while you are considered inexperienced.
    My first example with Roehl attitude, I drove over 5 weeks in the national fleet, but was paid at the regional rate. Called payroll. Then nothing. Finally told it would be fixed. Following Wednesday I get a Qualcom message asking me to state I want to be in the National fleet. I think, well, if it will get me my pay that is what I will do. Called payroll, thinking that I smelled a rat. I was told that Amy Roehl told my DSR that "We don't back pay drivers. He will get his .02 cent increase on next weeks check" Over eleven thousand miles at .02 cpm, and I didn't get any of that.
    Yeah, the first of MANY screws placed into old Homeboy's backside.
    They don't care. If you are reading this, ask yourself... if they really cared would the turnover be so high? I still drive for another company, and I will tell all of you newbs one thing... the bigger the company the bigger the screws. Don't believe the hype. Get your time in and get out, then find a real job.

6. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    First things first, they have more than enough trucks to fill that they can keep sending people through the RDTC. The number of open slots in RDTC isn't related to how many drivers quit that week. It's a max of 9 per class, pretty simple.

Second, do you have anything to backup the "kickbacks" they get for a driver being inexperienced? Anything at all?

Third, the turnover rate might be high, but compared to other OTR large fleets is really not that high. Last I knew, Roehl was about 90%, and I've seen a lot of other companies with over 100%.

7. Casper71

Casper71 Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Earth
    Sorry you had such a bad time at Roehl. They are not as great as most would like people to believe, but there are worse....much worse.

8. MO family man

MO family man Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Nunya, MO
    Against Federal law to issue the truck without replacing the mattress? Where do you people come up with this nonsense? Even if we pretend that you are correct since when is it your job to enforce said law? Not surprised you got billed for it hammer but since you have Federal law on your side then no worries huh?

Again folks since some in the back row were not listening. Why leave one driver mill for another? They are more or less the same. If it is working for ya then stay put otherwise follow the example set by the esteemed Homeboy and move on to a company that doesn't hire greenhorns.

9. evolutioncalling

evolutioncalling Medium Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Ah, government conspiracy theories. Well, from MY experience this company does care whether I stay or go. I was offered another job, and considered it for ONE reason. Once I told Roehl, they cared enough to work something out for me. Every problem I have had come up has been addressed AND fixed. Sure, I expect to be disappointed in the future, but I see it as the exception, not the rule. I talk to a lot of people at the terminals that have been here five years and up. Why haven't they jumped ship? Are they ignorant, or are they being treated right? A DSR may work for the company, be a direct link for the company, but a DSR is not the company. There continue to be these posts on here about how Roehl sucks, and yes, it is going to have its problems, but lets be honest, there are two sides to every story. I am not calling the OP, Homeboy, or any other person on here that had a bad experience a liar, but I wonder sometimes if the ENTIRE story has been told. My DSRs have worked with me, not been out to screw me, and been honest with me. I return the courtesy. I work with them, do what is asked of me without complaining, and am honest with them. Pay issues are bound to happen, as are miscommunications and selective-hearing, but it's not that bad here.

captK Thanks this.
  10. Homeboy

May 5, 2006
    touchin' em all
    Good for you! I hope you and Charlie are happy there.
    I also didn't tell the entire story because there wouldn't be enough room for all of it. Was I singled out? No. There were a few good times, but not many. I also met a few 5 year drivers when I was there. Very few. Mostly, I met newer drivers who were frustrated about miles, pay, crappy DSR's and no support from the support staff. I hope you and your cheerleader buddies do well there, well, really I don't care. I have my job that is much more suited to me and is head and shoulders above my experience at Roehl.
    Can you negate any statements I have made concerning tax breaks and rebates for equipment and operating costs for students? It is not only trucking that receives training subsidies, but I imagine that you, or me, would take advantage of this if we were eligible. Perhaps incentive to train students is motivated by this revenue and the $3000/person it costs to go through school.
    Whatever, Cheer on! Love Roehl and they will love you back.

11. Homeboy

May 5, 2006
    touchin' em all
    You show 23 as your age on your profile. I also thought I knew everything at your age. How long have you been driving?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.