The Sad Destruction of Flying J by Pilot- catering to cars

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Diesel_Smurf, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    That's why they taste so good!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    Well said.

4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    It does not make you anything, Your not a driver. You can not speak for a group of people you are not one of. Say what you want, but it does not make you a driver.

I could careless if flying J or any other truckstop services the general public, if it makes it easier for them to turn a profit great, If it cause me inconvenience then its simple I dont go there, that easy.

Truckdrivers expect some kind of special treatment because we work hard for a living. Its our choice, get it CHOICE. We all have have a vote by exerciser our power by whim we allow to have our hard earned dollar, but nobody owes us anything. If we take our spouse then it is still our choice.

Flying J was a failure, so I hope to shout that Pilot will operate different or they too will to away. That is how it is suppose to work.

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    So typical. Driver having opinions on things they know nothing about... You left out the chicken lips, get it right.

lilillill and JimDriv3r Thank this.
  6. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    Well, I happened to stop at a Pilot/Town Pump in Great Falls, MT. Across the street is the "J", has the Denny's working already. I went for a salad last night, it was typical Denny's fare. I thought after I delivered this morning I'd get some breakfast there....WRONG!! There was a wait, unless I wanted to sit at the counter. No "drivers only" area, so I was going to be made to wait. I told them I'm not waiting for a table and turned and walked out. I guess Denny's is a phenom around here or something...maybe after the newness wears off a driver can get a meal without too much fuss
    I will say from a business standpoint, it so far seems to be a good idea. Both times I've been into a "J" Denny's, it has been very busy. Time will tell....

7. taylewis

taylewis Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2008
    canyonlake
    so what,if it is dennys or flying j. or pilot how much do you spend there maybe 12-15$ per person if that,what maybe 2-3 days a week. thay still have parking for 18 wheels for free(most of the time), thay still have showers. at least they are still open. allowing us to park unlike so many walmart. stop and thank about it. i spend 100-120 a week at wal mart if i can find one that my truck will not get towed or i get a ticket at. if you really want to start a canpain to boycott. boycott walmart. i now use kmart or target. thay are more trucker frendly.

8. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    Good idea! Maybe we should propose the idea of pay-for-parking with a time-limit at every major truckstop across America, propose the increase of shower costs with a time limit, either increase laundry costs from $2 dollars a load at most places to $5 dollars or completely get rid of laundry rooms altogether, and completely get rid of diesel fuel islands, yaaaay. All that's left is to implement the idea of "one choice" by completely getting rid of variety and forcing an "either take this ONE choice or leave" attitude to everyone else! Travel Centers forever!

Then we can all agree that everything would be fair!

9. BIG RIGGER

BIG RIGGER Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Fargo,ND.

You was having to wait for all those drivers who say they never eat at Denny's to finish eating.

JimDriv3r Thanks this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    What I hate about J is there is ALWAYS a line to pay at the counter.
    What I hate about a certain J is that they have the transflo but no keyboard with which to hit F1 to scan your docs, and the counter girl was very snippy when I asked her where the keyboard was located.
    What I hate about another J is when I went in late at night to get coffee they only had the powdered creamer. I asked where they keep the half and halfs, the guy points out the powdered creamer like I am mentally disabled. I said 'cool that's fine for my first cup, what about an hour from now?'
    I just filled my thermos and waited for him at the counter for 2 minutes, he saw me there but never came over to take my money so I just walked out.

11. zentrucking

zentrucking Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Atlanta
    Even B4 the merger I heard more drivers say "I'll never set foot in a Flying Hook - ever!" for a lot of reasons ... so I don't see the difference now.

Then all the "goodbuddy" jokes and so-on - but that's neither here nor there ...

They chose Denny's due to national name recognition - and catering to local markets - not just travelers.

Denny's does "suck" - a place you "end up" - not a destination ... but who cares? - no worse than a lot of greasy spoons around.

Think of the number of truck parking spaces lost if they just simply folded :biggrin_25521:

Profit margins for fuel are razor thin - travel centers earn their profits of everything else.

J, Pilot, TA, all just stops down the road. They're all the same with they're overpriced radios, gps, gadgets, nic-nacks, etc ... 1 year on the road you don't even notice that crap anymore.

These days in trucking - truck stop mergers are the least of our worries.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.