The start of my first year with Swift.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sheriff1/6, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Chase05

Chase05 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    Where did you trade up to Mike?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Project Mongoose

Project Mongoose Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Shelby, NC
    Sheriff, I have a few questions for you that I wanted to send you a PM but the forums rules said I didnt have enough post. Anyway, I was curious to know if you could tell me the timeline it took from the day you started school from the time you got your first check. I want to pursue truck driving and I'm a Father of four and have lots of bills. I'm trying to figure how much money I need to save so that my bills will be paid during the time of not getting paid. Also, during your time in school did you have to feed yourself or did the school feed you during training. I have never been served with a silver spoon so I'm very cheap to myself when it comes to feeding myself. I'm just trying to get an idea before I take the leap. Thanks in advance!

cementandrocks Thanks this.
  4. Mrh2008

Mrh2008 Road Train Member

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    I must say, out of the 15 or so trucks I was in at SWIFT, I only had an issue with ONE. The AC stopped working. That's it. Everything I drove was mechanically sound, nothing like my nice new Melton truck, but I didn't have any problems with SWIFT's equipment. They all drove right, and all the beds worked... What more does a driver NEED?

5. Mrh2008

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Honestly, you're not going to support a family of 6 on a SWIFT salary. I assume you're married. You'll start at 25 cents per mile. When I left, I was at 32 cents and still could not support my family of 4.

may not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth. I made 21k my first 12 months with Swift.

6. Chase05

Chase05 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    Gross?!? Holy cow, you're making sheriffs numbers look amazing, lol.

7. Project Mongoose

Jan 18, 2013
    Shelby, NC
    Your input is appreciated but I collect a retirement check from the goverment for the rest of my life. Therefor, the salary I would make from Swift would not be the only source of income for my family. So to be continued for the answer I seek from Sheriff.

8. Mrh2008

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Yea, that's gross. I could be off a bit, but I'm pretty sure it was 21k ish. I think I have the W-2 with me, I'll try and dig it up tomorrow.

9. Project Mongoose

Jan 18, 2013
    Shelby, NC
    now is that 21k take home or before taxes and deductions? gross and net confuse me as to which is which is why i ask.

10. Mrh2008

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Gross is before tax. Net, after tax.

Gross is everything in the lake, net is what you're able to bring into the boat... Is how I remember it.

11. Project Mongoose

Jan 18, 2013
    Shelby, NC
    MrH, Seems that its a very different story for any new driver i guess. I only say that because of what Sheriff post. His Gross was 15k in a 6 month period. If he continued in the same pattern, he would have made nearly 30k. With that being said I guess nothing is certain.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.