The THREE S's

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by White Line, Aug 8, 2007.

1. White Line

White Line Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Where do you all do the three S's everyday?{That would be s__t,shave,and shower} This is the only thing that bugs me.I am kind of a clean freak,and wonder how you guys get this done everyday or not.When I was a Lumper,I saw a LOT of dirtbags who really smelled BAD,but I believe this was their personal preference.Rest stops,truck stops,where??? Are most of them kept clean or are they pig sty's?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

It all depends, some customers have shower facilities, and have no problem letting drivers use them. If not, then you need to find a truck stop, and they vary from disgusting to clean. Rest areas are the same, I have stopped at some and walked right back out.

A lot of times, I will take my shower in the early am or early afternoon, because the T/Ss tend to be emptier at those times. That way, when it gets to the evening, I can stop at a Meijer, WalMart,etc. (that has 24hrs toilet access) and get a quiet's night sleep.

4. Roadhound

Roadhound Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Tennessee
    It is, and always will be, in my schedule to stop and take a shower every day. I don't care how bad that load has to be somewhere, or how late I am running, I WILL stop and take a shower. I just wish everyone else had the same agenda. I have smelled some pretty rank drivers myself and I don't see any excuse for it. To me, it's just plain disgusting.

5. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    Most truck stop chains are about the same in the shower department.

There is a personal bathroom, much like you might have at home, WV and TN excluded, complete with a throne, mirrored lavatory, and shower. Most even supply you with soap, rag, towel and paper floor mat.

They keep them clean enough to be acceptable, but I still wear flip-flops to keep my feet from touching the floors. My feet are not athletic.

For the times when you only need to take care of the first "S", you are on your own. Just hold your nose and join the rest of us in the big smelly room. I find it amazing how a truck stop with 100 truck parking slots, automobile fueling, fast food, and a convenience store can think 3 crappers are enough. Peyouu-weee!!!

6. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Walmart does carry in large quantities old spice. Save your shower money> LOL

7. Roadhound

Roadhound Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Tennessee
    Shower money? I take advantage of my free shower when I fuel, come on back!

8. K C

K C Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2007
    The Big Road
    When you say "clean freak" does this mean you're particular about the sort of place you stop? For instance, it's not uncommon to go into a truck stop restroom and find it in disgusting condition. I won't even go into detail, just use your imagination.

Just my opinion, and maybe I'm *too* picky - but I would say that about 80 percent of truck stop showers are nasty. I always "borrow" extra towels to put on the floor, even in the shower... and most of the showers are not ventilated well, so after you get your shower, you're trying to get dressed in an environment resembling a sauna. I'm usually sweaty again by the time I'm ready to leave.

I'm aware that there are a lot of smelly drivers out there - I've encountered more than a few myself. I try to make sure I'm not stinking anyone out by wiping down with wet wipes and fresh towels each day. I "buzzcut" my hair so that's not a problem. With a lot of wipedowns and some deodorant, it's possible to go a day or two between showers.

Also, I keep a parakeet in my truck - when it keels over dead, I know it's time to change my socks!! :biggrin_2559:

9. White Line

White Line Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Do you go thru a lot of birds?:biggrin_2559:

10. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    I will second that!

11. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

What a great idea, only problem I have is that I can't say no to Taco Bell (or REAL mexican food, when you can find it) and the poor bird might die from my gaseous emissions!

I wholeheartedly second the buzzcut, I keep my hair short too, and find that I smell less offensive, since I have no big Rat's Nest on my head, collecting sweat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.