The truth about the " Trucker Shortage "

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by LJ78, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LJ78

LJ78 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Arkansas
    This is only the opinion of a 20 year veteran in the industry, but I've seen a lot of changes in that time. You always see these so called Real Drivers on the message boards talking BS about how the industry is making it hard to earn a living with the new hours of service laws and these companies that just seen to haul cheap freight etc.
    And this is why companies can't get any new people interested in the job.

Well folks I say it like my old man used to tell me. ( I was born at night but it wasn't last night ) if you really want to know what's going on take a look at the number of veteran drivers who have lost their whole careers and ruined their lives because of a failed random drug test.

This profession was built by good ole boys with a whole lot of energy and it #### sure wasn't natural. But now you have to go see a so called professional counselor to get your name clean again so you can drive and who the hell wants to pay for that. If the government would give one of those people who look at the statistics of crashes involving people either high or drunk vs. the people who are legitimately sober and report it truthfully it's gonna suprisur the hell out of everyone.
    But hey don't take my word for it I'm just a good ole boy.

jon69 and dwells40 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Them drugs they are busted for are used by the services to keep the person more awake and aware, it is okay for the ones defending our country to use while on duty but then after they become a workforce worker it is not. And some of them are not easy to get off of I guess with all the pain medications they screaming about everyone hooked on. Something does not add up.

olddog_newtricks Thanks this.
  4. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I'm,sure that's a small portion of it but good 'ol boy or not I don't want to be on the road with anyone who's tweaking. I've been driving for 24 years and I have seen a lot as well. My take on the so called shortage is, if you treat people like crap they won't stay and do the job.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  5. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    I think that’s absolutely correct.

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Veteran drivers should know if they play with fire one day they might get burnt. All cdl holders should be aware of this law.

If that random means they lose the house truck car wife and family in a months time then they were already living way too close to the edge. I have no sympathy and it's not like this is a tall order. Want to drive commercially? Then don't screw around, those days are long gone. I don't feel like this a government overreach.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Things have changed rather drastically since the days of the CDL Licensing back in the early 90's And evolved even more from there. In those days there was no chance that Pot was legal at all. Now you have states that say it's either lawful for medical, recreational or both. No wonder people are more likley as not to have something in thier system when they go up against a hair test or a drug test.

But that's ok, there are still plenty of people in that orientation who passed a drug test. But may have been damaging equiptment or running into stuff or something else.

Computers are more for enforcement than anything else these days. If my 11 hours is up 2 hours from delivery? Fine Im parking. No problem. If Dispatch or company wants to demand I finish the delivery then I document everything and go home to the labor board on them after I am fired for saying no and get a new appt time.

The knowledge is still there even though I am not active anymore. I don't expect to be active again. That is a loss of about roughly 20+ years of prime working productivity. And a unimaginable economic loss as well since disability does not begin to break even and will never do so.

Some companies are just going to have to evolve as well and become more professional. Or go out of business.

jon69 Thanks this.
  8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Some companies will not change and we are seeing the effects now, used equipment is huge right now, but buying one of those trucks will be like playing with a loaded gun, they did not care enough to take care of the drivers, you think they will keep care of the equipment? Just a changing of the guards.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  9. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Seriously , 20 years and you think it's because of randoms, lmao.
    smh.

DougA, Aamcotrans, aussiejosh and 2 others Thank this.
  10. LJ78

LJ78 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Arkansas
    I completely understand that nobody wants to be on the road with someone higher than a hippy helicopter but there are more people killing folks because they have to keep everyone updated on what the hell they are eating for dinner. I'm not saying that it's right by no means but I can guarantee you that there are more driver's sitting in the parking lot of the Loves truck stop slamming a brew trying to find a fat trucker lady to wrestle in his bunk than there are guys taking exactly what the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT use to supply it's troops to keep them fighting longer during battle and quite frankly if you don't like my opinion well guess what who gives a ####.

11. LJ78

LJ78 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Arkansas
    I'm simply saying people mess up but why the hell is it right to force them to pay outrageous fines and make them take completely useless classes just to feed their families.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.