The use of CB while driving a violation?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GlobalFM001, Jul 22, 2019.

1. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    The signs in some states prohibit the use of handheld electronic devices, the CB is an electronic device that technically works when you press the button on the handheld portion of the device.

An anal officer can certainly make a case that by using the cb while driving you violated the law.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Possible, but there are times it is justifiable for the gloves to come off. lol

rebs and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My trucks have vhf radios in them. A Ky dot ask if I could listen to the police with it and I told him I probably could if their I had their channel programmed in to it. He got a little arrogant and decided it was illegal to have without a ham license. I mentioned it was not illegal to have, maybe to talk on, and since I had never talked on it, I have broken no laws. lol

okiedokie, Razorwyr and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    What’s the difference between holding a cb and talking into it vs holding a cell phone and talking into it?

MartinFromBC and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    A cellphone, or more specifically, a handheld electronic device, is against the law to hold and drive while a cb is not.
    Doesn't matter why, it just is.

Puppage Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would have told the cop he isn't there to enforce federal law, it is federal law that dictates the licenses of the system and every user having legal possession of the radio and part of the system falls under a federal license.

I don't know, I don't see anyone holding a cb, pretty hard to do.

The cell phone itself isn't just a phone and the destraction is more than talking.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Do not quote me on this as ive never hauled OSOW... But I do believe that constant communication between pilot cars and driver of the load is required. And the standard for such communication as I know it is the CB...

But as I have said I dont have experience with OSOW, so I could be wrong. Maybe @TripleSix can clarify this.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander IMO

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  11. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    A CB radio is not considered a hand held device. It is considered a two-way radio. I'm not sure about CB but as a HAM radio operator my HAM license permits me to operate my radio in all 50 states both mobile and as a base station. The FCC rules dictate that and DOT cannot override the FCC because FCC is federal. DOT is state.

However if you are using one and get into an accident you can be cited for distracted driving. It's still a distraction. Just a legal one.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Matt1924 and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  12. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I could have gone that route, but he was a dot, not a cop. Many locations have 1 federal dot, we have one here and we had one at San Jon nm. They look and dress the same, but are paid by the feds, and when the one in NM wrote you up, he had to handcuff you and take you to Sante Fe. He is a good guy and you really had to screw up to get him to do that, he would generally just let his partner write a guy up or give them a warning. I never heard of either of them,or any more for that matter enforcing radio violations, but ten again, he is the only one that ever even mentioned it, and it is actually illegal anywhere.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.