The YRC consolidation begins

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by speedyk, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Forgot about Jevic. Those guys were my early trucking heroes!

Mike2633, bzinger and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Good company, for sure.

Mike2633, bzinger and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  4. yay for the correction I'm not a freight hauler don't do LTL pedal runs

5. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    LTL drivers peddle.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Peddle...pedal...petal...English be weird.

FlaSwampRat and Mike2633 Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Unless you drive a bus or an Amtrak, you haul freight. ;)

Mike2633, speedyk and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  8. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    P&D is hard enough without having an engine in the truck.

9. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Well TNT under Australian ownership which I refer to as the golden age of TNT was never real hip on integration. In fact the TNT thread on here just got a shot in the arm today as a matter of fact. 25 years later I'm still trying to figure out what TNT Distribution Services actually did.

LTL2PO Thanks this.
  10. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    TNT, fake or not, is still affecting the transportation world... Pay no mind to that fiscal year behind the curtain-FedEx - FreightWaves

FedEx’s difficult integration of TNT Express will be at or near completion, I.T. systems will be optimized, and a key reason for the deal, to inject express packages into TNT Express’ pan-European ground network–will be realized, according to executives.

---

Smith continued to impress upon analysts that the 2017 “NotPetya” state-sponsored cyberattacks in 2016 and 2017 against TNT Express, among other companies and institutions, remain a burr in the saddle. The attack crippled TNT Express’ I.T. network and, ultimately, its physical network, costing FedEx about $300 million to dig out of the hole.

11. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    ODFL has a special niche in that they do intensive planning to minimise freight transfer to prevent damage. This sounds kinda meh, but when I interviewed there it was vewy vewy important to them. They told me that they charge accordingly, so it also represents putting their services at a premium level. (Which I happen to think is a smart move because LTL is overdue for consolidation; look at what's happening in food service with Reyes and other wolfing down of smaller companies and how package already is. In much of the LTL world it's still the 80's, just momentum carrying things forward, notice also how ready/eager UPS was to close UPSF if there was any meckering about the contract. To me that means UPSF is worth it, but barely so.)

It's one possible reason why they might be having a slow year, as some customers are taking lower rates with other carriers who might not plan as well. So the YRC's and CT's will temporarily gain some volume until they deliver enough mangled shipments that shippers will shrug and cough up for careful handling.

And I think YRC knows it: the HNRY gambit is a way to try on XPO's shoes and diversify out of the expensive dependence on maintaining lots of their own terminals. I'd bet that XPO is more than willing to get out of the former Conway network except where useful to themselves in major cities where they need parking space.

YRC has a long way to go toward that; They aren't established in logistics enough to be recognisable right now, they have Teamster contracts spread irregularly across their subsidiaries, and they will have to overcome many years of lazy and contradictory management to survive at all. HNRY is a hail-Mary pass without a receiver on the other end at this point.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.