Theres alot wrong with trucking

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by joem789, Dec 11, 2019.

1. joem789

joem789 Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2019
    My wife has been in various levels of dispatching and brokering for many years. Ive learned alot about it just being around it. And being the business minded person i am, theres alot wrong with the business. And the agents and drivers get the short end.

The carriers and brokers are ripping off the drivers like crazy. Hiding behind norms and bad policies. When a shipper drops out its too often a deadheading driver gets the shaft. And even if the driver gets something, the agent gets nothing for all the hard work they put into getting loads happening. Theres a long list of lopsided business arrangements that cross the crooked line. And i have seen more embezzlement in trucking than anywhere else. It needs a major overhaul.

rachi, D.Tibbitt and exhausted379 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Who are you wanting to overhaul it. The government? And you think it is screwed up now.

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Its why we need more young cats in this business that respect what the old hands built for us, but understand the new industry and learn how to change it for the better . The only problem is its not much young ppl that is willing to get out here n work and learn the business

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  5. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Just work company gigs.
    Change companies every year.
    Enjoy the free continental breakfast and swimming pool.
    See how many companies you can tour.
    Go home whenever you want.
    Rinse and repeat.

buddyd157 and rachi Thank this.
  6. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    It was all deregulated back in the 80's

buddyd157, G13Tomcat and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Sounds like your wife needs to charge a penalty to the shipper when they cancel, similar to a TONU fee they trucking company has.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The TONU fee is something we sorely need in the LTL business. I go to entirely too many pickups that consist entirely of “duh..... I don’t know what a ‘bill of lading’ is”. :rolleyes:

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    FFE/KLLM caught a driver manager twice for embezzling in Jackson MS qouting source CDL Life from a few years ago. He would issue comchecks, quickly put a pending cancel on the code and go to the truckstop and cash them. Drivers know nothing. They caught him dead to rights in Lancaster and allowed that one a second chance in MS and what does he do? Run off and did it again. This time they were watching him in real time. Too many CC's being canceled relatively quickly in the system.

We had a banker loan officer who was all of early 20's about a decade ago arrange a account to fill with .75 cents or 1.25 differences in regular payments due on loan balanaces across the system. Some customers were very fixed budget and eagle eyed questioning the extra little tiny bits coming out on top of the regular massive (Relatively) payments per loan contract. Eventually she had apparently thousands of loans in the bank system wide nickel and diming. One is reminded of a very old and funny 80's movie in which several people hatch a software program to collect or skim percentages in a tiny amount from their banking and was enormously successful. That bank was able to detect the differences in monthly loan contract balance and the actual payments persistently a tiny bit higher. Presto found the account linked back to the corrupt Loan officer. I think she is still in prison pending restitution when she gets out to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars.

We had another bank this time a manager just blatantly carting out a box from his vault regularly. Next thing the bank understands they are short in excess of 50,000 dollars to 100,000 plus at that branch and could not find it until they intercepted him one day and demanded he open that little cardboard office files box. Presto jackpot. Arrested on the spot.

However in this county several gas stations, if manned by college age cashiers you have to pay the gasoline in cash. If you presented a credit card they will copy the information off it and then attempt what is called a soft test transaction for some hotel on a popular spring break carolina beach such as the windjammer hotel or some other place on the coast. For 4.95 or whatever. We usually caught those and saw the gas station as the source. Eventually they were arrested in at least 7 cases I know of since living here for 21 years plus all of whom have been sent to prison. The women to west memphis and the men to pine bluff corrections and face restitution when they get out.

God forbid they get ahold of a semi truck fueling information and attempt a workaround for illegal gain in some of those smaller places. One trucking company I worked for here eliminated that problem by having a 10,000 gallon above ground fuel tank filled when necessary by the local fuel dealer for cash supporting a fleet of local trucks. The plant is since then been relocated south into Jacksonville and is restored to field grass. No trace remains except a cut section of lead pipe which we laid one year to increase water draw among other buried utitlites several feet down.

Where there is money tempting bad people anywhere you can pretty much guarantee that they will try to get to it.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.