Thermo-electric coolers (Coleman, Koolatron, etc) and batteries

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by doninwooster, Apr 14, 2018.

1. doninwooster

doninwooster Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Wooster, OH
    Excuse my asking this newbie question, especially if it sounds ignorant. For you with the 12V coolers in your truck, I have a concern. They run off your truck battery, so won't they drain the batteries if left plugged in when the truck is not running/idling? If they would drain the batteries, I would think the coolers would need to be unplugged. This, in turn, would cause the coolers to warm up quickly, spoiling the food inside. Do I totally misunderstand how these coolers work?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    They only cool down about 30 or 40 degrees ambient temperature.
    So if it is 90 degrees in your truck, the cooler will be 50 or 60 degrees.
    They don’t draw a lot of power, so on a 10 hour rest you would be fine. On a 34 hour break you may want to start the truck once or twice.

4. doninwooster

doninwooster Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Wooster, OH
    So, if I wanted to get away from my truck for the day during a 34 hour reset and the cab temp gets up to 90 degrees, theinside of cooler will be 50 degrees (or more)? That isn't good. I could see a lot of food getting wasted if I wanted to leave the truck to go do something during the reset.

5. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    Koolatron has one with what they call heat pipe technology. Cools even better than that...

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yup, that's about right.
    Except there are way better quality ones such as Engel or ARB. They cost over $600 and up.
    They look like a regular cooler, but they have an actual compressor in them and can even be dialed down to below freezing.

7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Not really. Keep in mind that they have pretty decent insulation and if they are pretty full they don't heat up that quickly.

I never left mine running while I was out of the truck for more than a few minutes. They all (at least the cheaper ones, such as you find for 100-200 bucks at a truck stop or walmart) seem to have issues with the plugs heating up. I had more than a few plugs melt on me and I didn't want that happening while I was out of the truck and starting a fire.

If you are out of the truck for a day, throw some ice in there, or bring it in the house with you if you are going home. It's just as effective as any other cheap insulated cooler without being powered on.

doninwooster and uncleal13 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.