Thermo King Precedent S-600 vs S-700

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Jacoooooooo, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Hi, I have a question on those two gensets.
    Will the higher S-700 model be suitable for produce freight? I heard it’s designed for deep frozen freight. Are there disadvantages of using it for produce? Or it’s just the matter of setting the temp, and it makes no difference?
    Sorry if question sounds dunno, I’m not in the reefer topic at all.
    Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    My understanding is the bigger unit can cool faster. Strictly speaking, the smaller unit will be fine for chilled loads. The smaller unit can also do frozen but it will work harder and longer, especially on hot sunny days.

Not sure what the upfront cost difference is between the two but how sure are you you won't do your fair share of frozen? What about backhauls? There's an awful lot of frozen loads out there and they are mostly "risk free".

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. You will appreciate the faster cool downs with the bigger unit.

slow.rider and Jacoooooooo Thank this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Only really need it if you do a lot of frozen. If frozen isn't the bulk of your business, the s600 will be just fine. If you aren't sure where your business may be in the next few years, might be better to get the bigger s700 unit.
    I considered the same but I went with carrier. I bought the bigger unit, their 7500 over the 7300, and the premium was approximately $1500. I'd expect thermo king to be similar. Frozen is easily 50% of my business, and carrier seems to do frozen better. The places I go for my frozen stuff, evidently others think the same, most all of the regulars use carrier. Weight is about 175 pounds less than thermo king as well, as per their product pamphlets.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And I imagine you can get a big Carrier for about the same price as a small Thermoking. I think overall upfront cost savings and reduced maintenance costs and high reliability is what drives many to run most or all Carrier fleets.

Jacoooooooo Thanks this.
  6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    A year and a half ago, the S-700 was $900 more than the S-600. On a more recent purchase, I didn't get the 600 quoted.

My experience is both Carrier and TK get the job done. Carrier breaks down somewhat more often, but repairs usually cost less. Breakdowns == downtime and product risk, so that's been the main reason I buy TK units.

The TK service network has been better for me as a rule. As-in with Carrier, you learn quickly there are good and not so good dealers. I haven't found a bad TK dealer. Then again, I haven't needed them as much.

Something you should be aware of the S-series units. The unlimited Cali compliance has a hidden cost. The 3,000 hr PM includes removing/replacing the EGR cooler and cleaning it. Suddenly the $150 PM service is now almost $800. In my operation 3k hrs is about a year. I'll recover that add'l cost on the resale, as I will trade out at 5 yrs. Do it yourselfers might have an issue with it. Just putting it out there. If you don't care about Cali compliance and plan to keep it till the wheels fall off (and eventually sell to someone who does need to register with CARB), you might be better off with a C-series unit if you go with TK.

Something you should consider is value over cost. If you're buying a fleet of 100 units, the math favors a cheaper product. If you're buying one you're gonna run exclusively and live with for a long time, don't get so wrapped up about the purchase price. Get the one that will bring you better service and less risk over it's lifetime.

zablon, Medysa79, RockinChair and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Mraj22

Mraj22 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2015

On point. If you are a single man army don't look at the cost, mostly you notice mega carriers will have carriers because its cheaper for them to buy in bulks rather tk is very rare for a mega carrier so I assume its little bit pricey.
    In my opinion I like TK they have more facility's on the road and another thing I like about them TK units mostly have similar parts under the hood I believe carrier units have different sizes or different parts which in my opinion TK will be more reliable on the road if parts are easier to get..
    Oh and get a S700 you will love it when its 113 outside and your running -10 :- O
    Good luck

slow.rider and Ole school trucker Thank this.
  8. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Thermo King doesn't tell anyone about the egr valve.The C-600 with mechanical injection is still 7 years California compliant and a much simpler and better unit in my opinion.(no ecu either)

JJ 501, Jarhed1964 and slow.rider Thank this.
  9. Wickedchicken

Wickedchicken Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2020
    I am going for the TK c600 unit because i dont plan to run it past 5 yrs anyways. less maintenance. Not all loads will be frozen, but some here and there as I suspect, and it should just do fine. I imagine if you are running frozen all the time in the summer then i would opt for the s700. I just dont see a problem with c600s running frozens once is a while.

10. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Yeah the s700 has more horsepower and would be advised for running the desert with frozen, or just go with carrier.

Jarhed1964 and Wickedchicken Thank this.
  11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I’m still running a an old 200 (which I believe is the 600 equivalent) on my 2011 and I can hit 10* In about 35-40 minutes in 70ish degree whether, shutting off at -5 is about just over an hour without my divider up (I use religiously when loaded) It will pull to -20 after a while but I don’t do ice cream, (or tried to) I just haul frozen processed crap

Wickedchicken Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.