"They let their CDL go" - What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by jd1952, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Lostcause54

Lostcause54 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Keep your dot physical up to date, and when you hear let it go, that means down graded to a regular operators license, idk about all states but bama gave me 3 years to come reclaim my class A but my body just didn't heal fast enough and now I see I have to retest and find a truck to take the 3 way test in..(pre-trip, skills or backing, road test)
    In ga and bama all the so called truck driving schools I contacted listened to my story and called me back later that day, guess what, everyone wanted to sell me the complete program for $3700 to $ 5000... almost like on que. oh well, an Alabama trooper told me if I could get a truck, or if not, call the tech schools most all of them in bama offer a walk in test. Use their truck and just do the test...average prices I've found is $250 the state set a cap at 350.00. Not bad. But so far 3 tech schools that offer this 3rd party walk in service have tried to up sale me atleast a weeks refresher and then test.. imagine that.. safety my hinney it's all money..that
    $100. Physical might be cheaper that what I've experienced so far. Keep the sunny side up and I'd rather talk to ya than bout ya...ya hear
    Good luck hand
    Horneytoad

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    It TN, and I think it’s federal, that the state will cancel your CDL if you fail to maintain your health card.

SoCalRed Thanks this.
  4. Lostcause54

Lostcause54 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2018
    It is, I was remarking about the 3 year period is that 3 year period a federal thing?? I'm + 1.5 beyond.
    So, I get to start over, ya know, there's nothing new being taught it's all about every lil fraction of trucking rules making money off of the backs of thefolks that make the wheels turn.

5. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Pay to renew the license before it expires. The state didn't care about my physical.... in 2008 I renewed it, no DOT current physical. ( I was not actively driving )... When I went back in 2016, I had to have a Current Physical or could only get a CDLA in state only.... But without your physical, no instate carrier will hire....

From what I learned...no plans on driving, just pay for the renewal fee...if you want to return to driving,, get physical first.... than renew. If your CDL is current, than just get a med card.

All states are different. Michigan is/was One Year. I was knocked down to a C type license..... Class C or Chauffers... I don't know lol

6. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Letting your cdl go if you do not plan on useing it for several years is a good idea...
    1. .04 bac score is your legal limit with it... Silly of someone gets a dui for .05 and not driven a truck for several years...
    2. You still will always be held to a higher standard in a personal vechicle...
    3. Its not that hard to get it back and if you kept it you still be treated as if you just got a cdl... starting from day 1...
    4. Why pay the cost if there no benefits to keeping it. Unless you plan on useing cdl within 5 years again id let it go.

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I will never willingly or intentionally let my CDL go... Idaho you can run Intra State without Med card... Last time I renewed my CDL the DMV screwed up and had put me down as Intra State only no med card... I saw It as I was about to walk out the door and went right back to the counter... They fixed it immediately.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  8. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Number 1 is not true. The .08 applies to a CDL holder in a personal vehicle.

2 I will agree with.

3&4 I disagree. Keeping a CDL isn’t expensive or difficult. Keeping one is much easier than jumping through the hoops to get one. Also the trend is with CDLs getting harder to get.

9. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    The .04 is very much true....

All 50 states have now set .08% blood alcohol concentration (BAC) as the legal limit for driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while impaired (DWI). For commercial drivers, a BAC of .04% can result in a DUI or DWI conviction nationwide. For those under 21 years old, there is a zero tolerance limit―even the smallest amount of alcohol is grounds for a DUI or DWI arrest.

10. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Want to bet on it?

BAC Standards
    The FMCSA has established 0.04% as the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level at or above which a CDL commercial motor vehicle operator who is required to have a CDL, and is operating a commercial motor vehicle, is deemed to be driving under the influence of alcohol and subject to the disqualification sanctions in the Federal regulations. Most States have established a BAC level of .08% as the level at or above which a person operating a non-commercial motor vehicle is deemed to be driving under the influence of alcohol.

States

11. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Isn’t the law changing where you’ll need 160 hours training to get a CDL? If you let it go will you need to complete that course?

I’ll just pay the money into perpetuity and avoid that. You never know when you’ll be somewhere and all of a sudden Charlize Theron will need someone with a CDL... I’ll be ready. LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.