They should follow their own rules

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by UturnGirl, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    I just read this post and all the comments. If I was within 2 or 3 hours of the house and felt good, I would keep trucking. The chances of anything happening is "slim to none", Only thing that could get you into trouble if you were involved in an accident. It might be that your company would take action, that is another story. But as far as being caught by DOT, "slim to none".

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Let me relate a case. Here was a driver that was involved in a rollover. He had been working 24 hrs straight. He was not using an ELD or did he have paper logs. After some investigation, the company sent the state DOT some paper logs that were falsified. You know what happened? NOTHING!!! The driver or company was never charged with any HOS violations. The driver was charged with reckless driving, but in court the charge was reduced and the driver was fined $100 and a "slapped on the wrist".

Personally, in my opinion, all this hype about the HOS is a "forest". Before I actually "retired" and "gave it up", I ran the way I felt, with the attitude, " if I get caught, I will deal with it then".

TokyoJoe Thanks this.
  4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    No its called experienced. If your able to deliver and pickup on time then you should also be able to get home on time. If I see a delivery or pick is going to prevent me getting home them I let dispatch know to change it. My home time is important enough to me that I have left jobs because they would not get me home. My family is more important to me than any load. Period.
    When I was driving for Legend I left the driver manager know 3 weeks ahead I had an anniversary coming up and I needed to be home the day before and stay till the day after, I hit the Rancho Cucamonga yard (the tractor was needing repairs to the DEF System) the morning before my off time was scheduled for, they decided that they thought I had time to run up to Northern Cal and pickup a load, I told them it would interfere with my anniversary plans, I was informed i did not have a choice since it was going to be my outbound load for Texas. So I cleaned out my truck, I got home the day I had setup weeks ago, the day after my Anniversary I called in to check for loads and confirmed that they had taken it as a Voluntary Resignation, CA EDD took it as termination without cause and gave me max award unemployment.
    I take time at home serious and I will not give in on time off.

classic_150 and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  5. LoSt_AgAiN

LoSt_AgAiN Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
  6. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Spent many night in my truck 60 miles or less from home. Sucks but that’s the game now. So suck it up buttercup. We’re all in the same boat

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  7. LoSt_AgAiN

LoSt_AgAiN Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    In trucking sometimes shiZz doesn’t go as planned. And not all of us quit when things don’t go our way.

aaronpeterbilt3787 and UturnGirl Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.