They simply don't care.

Discussion in 'Werner' started by rangerman1alterego, Mar 22, 2008.

1. This company like all, will have a few drivers that have nothing but glowing things to say about them.... But I'm NOT one of them!!...
    I've spent the time since re-hashing all the details in my mind but the long and short is this: When I pulled into Omaha, and learned that my wife was in the hospital, I explained IN PERSON, and over the qualcomm about the complications with her pregnancy, and my dependency on internet-Skype telephone for communication with home (low$ and medical bills = no cellphone). Because of this, and that my truck had been "Tagged" by safety, I would'nt be able to take the pre-assigned load. "no problem" was the attitude.
    Later, I learned that my wife had lost the baby. Understandably upset, I called my dispatcher and filled him in on what was going on, and WHY I needed time. A few days later, I was set to go back on the road... But one "safety hold" after another kept me stuck inside the terminal. Another day passes.. Then I get a call to come up and talk to management.. The reason? Termination for Low Productivity. No warnings, no probation, nothing. Of course, I informed the man what was going on, and that it wasn't a secret. His reply? "I'm sorry to hear that, but this is final"
    I could understand a company terminating someone for a pattern: no explanation. Frequent stops, low miles, and days out of contact. This wasn't how it was in my case. Even from the first day we started getting warning signals, I let them know. "Just in case" so there'd be no out of the blue surprises.
    =============================

Now, I understand those who say "fired" may not seem credible, and the story may sound exaggerated. Skepticism is natural. Doubt is o.k. but this is as true as I can put it. I'd heard horror stories, and a close friend of mine had even worse experiences with him. Untill last December, I'd figured his story to be simply bad luck, bad communication, and isolated bad apples with the company. My conclusion? Werner will play lip service to caring until one of their drivers has something go wrong. THAT'S when their true colors shine through.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

I am so sorry for your loss. You will find another job but first your wife needs you.

4. jerryl

jerryl Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I know what you are going through right now as my wife and I have been down that road a couple of times. It is unfortunate that your company showed a total lack of concern. I'd say with all I have heard about downsizing at Werner that they are looking at thsi situation wrong and using it as an excuse. Take time with your wife and hopefully something good will come along soon.

5. SUNZEE

SUNZEE Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Cleveland,MS
    Im sorry to hear this,and I wish you and your wife the best,but your family needs is always first.One day they will face a bad situation and they will see how it is to be in your shoes.I dont wish bad luck for no one and I pray for all well bieng,but its people like them that needs a wake-up call.

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    That's why I've always worked for small fleets and would never work for a megacarrier . In the handbook for my present employer it states loads are expected to be on time unless there is a mechanical failure , bad road , conditions , or family emergency . They mean it . I know several times drivers have had family emergencies and were told that's the priority . Take care of it . They also say if you are tired , stop . That's it . No one has never had any action against them because of a late load when they decided they were just too tired to go on . Schedules usually allow plenty of time . We aen't pushed .

7. iamkaren123

iamkaren123 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Chattanooga, Tennessee

OMG! That is terrible!!! Right, your wife needs you but you also need your job!

I understand your pain . But what I am going through is a little different. My significant other worked for Werner for about 12yrs. Doing pretty good till he had an accident that was NOT his fault according to police but , of course, Werner says it is. Even with all the proof given. He has an ex wife, a daughter and now me, thank god, no kids! He left Werner for a higher paying and a company that treats its drivers with respect, but because of the one accident Werner, i guess the word is, "Blackballed" him. Noone anywhere at any job would hire him because of what Werner was saying. So guess where he went back too? Well this time he put his cards on the tablr, told them like it was and for now, notice I say for now, it is working out. His dispatcher is really giving him the miles. But as for time off, it is very nil. He is out 4-6 weeks at a time and if lucky 4 days at home. You are so right. They DO NOT CATRE!!!

Well I hope things got better with you. I hope your wife is coming along.

Hugs,
    Karen

8. WofT

WofT Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Oh, I believe you. Something similar happened to my husband, and without any event that necessitated a request to take a lot of time off.

9. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Sorry to hear this, I haven't had this issue. When my grandfather was dying and I let dispatch know they got me right to FL where he was. When my son was having a test for learning issues, they also got me right to NJ, in this case we had our truck safetly held in Omaha, 1 day before my hometime. It was going to be held a min of 5 days so my dispatcher went a head and rented me a car to get home ontime for the test... so may I ask then, who was your dispatcher? And what division?

Sorry to hear about your wife and your loss, and I hope that you two make it through this together and healthy.

10. 18wheelrkatlady

18wheelrkatlady Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Lake Placid, Florida
    My boyfriend's daughter died about a month ago and they were great about letting him go to Illinois to bury her. He took my car and was gone a week and when he and his brother got (they drive team) I took them to the Lakeland, Fla. and they were off and running again.

11. 18wheelrkatlady

18wheelrkatlady Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Lake Placid, Florida
    I do have to say though, that they are bad about hometime. We have had to cancel plans at the last minute several times because they didn't get him home on time. Even when he's put in weeks ahead of time and let them know the importance of being home on time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.