They'd rather hire newbies, Huh?

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by BlueNosedBstd, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueNosedBstd

BlueNosedBstd Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2008
    New York State
    Been driving big trucks most of my adult life and made the mistake of getting out of trucking and into sales the past few years. i say 'mistake' because it's been impossible the past several months to land a driving job.

I really want to get back on the road, and even tho I've got 2 decades of experience, a clean DAC, no one(except *Schneider) will allow me to get back in. They all blame it on insurance etc.

*Schneider made me an offer a few months back on a dedicated route, and it seems I prob should have taken them up on the offer, although at that time, I figured if a mega carrier like them made me an offer, there would be many others too. Geeze, was I wrong. I called them back a couple of months ago, and of course those positions were filled, ugh.

I find it hard to believe that an insurance company would rather insure a newbie, fresh out of a cdl mill, over an experienced driver with a clean and proven driving record.

Am I missing something here, or has the trucking industry changed this much in the past few years? You see it all over the place, "Shortage of Drivers in the Trucking Industry". Huh?, makes me wonder if there is no real shortage, and it's just a plea of sympathy for these companies to attract drivers away from other competing carriers.

I even considered an Owner-Op gig, but cannot raise the $15,000.00 or so I know I'll need in start up funds(that's before purchasing-leasing equiptment). I've got a ton of work lined up, but w/o funds, this is an impossible dream.

I would love the oppurtunity to get back out as being out of work the past few months, the funds are running way too low, and the bills are starting to pile way too high. Looking for NE Regional-Local. Please PM me if your looking for a good, dedicated and on time driver in the NE. I need to gross a $1000.00 or more a week. (Note: if you represent JB Hunt, don't bother contacting me, as I've been bombarded by them, even tho I don't fit their criteria, and I've asked them to remove me from their contact lists, they keep calling.)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Yep, you said it. There is no driver shortage, it is all a myth to keep wages low and drivers desperate.

4. bbkeo

bbkeo Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2007
    winston salem nc
    Do you have 1 year otr in the last three? If you do let me know. I might know of a company that you can contact. Once you get your post count up PM me and I let you know.

5. BlueNosedBstd

Apr 5, 2008
    New York State
    Negative, and there within lies the problem according to every company I've spoken with over the past few months. Been off the road full time since 02, although I still drag a flatbed load every so often for local owner -ops here in NY.

6. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    You are in the right area for Eastern Freightways. They did take students for a while but apparently stopped after the first 8 out of 10 washed out. Perhaps with your experience level they would consider you. I sent you a pm as well. Good luck!

7. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    If you're anywhere near Selkirk (Albany area), I know of a company that might work for you.

8. BlueNosedBstd

Apr 5, 2008
    New York State
    Yes, I am less than an hour from Selkirk and have just a few days ago, applied to the "Air Products" terminal there via a posting of thiers on one of the job-sites.

Which company are your referring to 'Scarecrow03'?

I also applied with the Ryder terminal just up the road in Albany as they and another one down in Newburgh ran ads last week. Did the phone interview with them, and was told I did qualify and if the chic in recruiting didn't call me by end of business this past Friday, to call her on Monday(as she's outa Texas I think they said, and is overwhelmed with her workload of late), so that will be one of the calls on me list for tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the heads up on PAM 'Christopher33'. They run TONS of ads in these parts, and from all that I've read on them, I have thusfar, and will continue to stay away from them. ;)

9. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    The company I was referring to is called Industrial Transport Services, Inc. They are a contract carrier for what used to be GE Plastics and is now known as Sabic Innovative Plastics. You won't find them advertising in the newspaper, however I could PM you a phone number to call and see of their job needs from that facility. I worked for the company from their Indiana home office. All you would ever haul is Sabic's material. You could either pull pneumatic tanks or specialty dry vans. The pneumatic tanks haul the plastic pellets to molding companies and the vans have liners in them that holds the powder that can be formed into the plastic pellets.

ITS is a good company to work for. They treat their employees well and have some of the best benefits I've ever seen in a non-union trucking company.

Let me know if you would like a phone number and I'll PM it to you.

10. BlueNosedBstd

Apr 5, 2008
    New York State
    sure Scarecrow, please do pass along the # via a pm.

11. the counterfiter

the counterfiter Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2008
    citrussprings florida
    I Left Trucking Fore 9 Years Then Went Back AS A Local Driver Runing 1800 Miles A Weak! . Yes Imay Have Ben Out Of OTR For A Whyel But My Menery
    Seems To Be Just The Same As It Was B-4 I Stoped Driving.Point! Mojave Ca. The Air Craft Junck Yard Is Still Ther!.When I Was Out With My So Called Trainer I'ed Asked Him If the yard Was Still Ther? He was Surprized I Knew It Was Ther! Just Like A Lot Of Outherthings ! But Still IN The Trucking INDS. I
    No longer Have Experince!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.