"They're hiking pay significantly" !????

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by SOAthor, Jul 1, 2018.

1. SOAthor

SOAthor Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Tennessee
    Really ??? would everyone please chime in and tell me where you see pay being hiked "significantly"
    that comment was from the article below ?

America’s severe trucker shortage could undermine the prosperous economy

I do have to admit there is a lot of truth in the comments about what a harsh industry and job truckign can be, we need to support and share the articles that do bring that out and are honest about the sub average pay.

Analysis | America has a massive truck driver shortage. Here’s why few want an $80,000 job.

I dont know if the above has been posted, but I really enjoyed it because of the many honest comments that were included about the negatives of trucking and how it is not reccomended.

I also want to post one that does show the plus side and a company that is raising wages...

Amid truck driver shortage, IMC raises pay by 30 precent

They say that is a 30% increse, seems more like 20% to me, but its still good. Comments ? Oh side note, looking at glass door it showed average salaries Truck driver: 43,000 ( 60 hour work week) and UPS driver jobs 66,000 ( pension and fewer hours worked). Hmmm, tell us again what the problem is ata?

Bro_Dave and UturnGirl Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Most OTR jobs pay nowhere near $80,000. That’s all I needed to see, not wasting my time reading that.

Every company I worked for where I still have friends at have raised pay, but still well below $80K/year, unless you basically never wanna see your house or you run team. I make around $80K running a home daily M-F linehaul, good enough for me...

4. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    $80K?

LOL!

That's some funny ####, right there.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Told you that's blanket cover story so that the oil companies and brokers can put it in everyone's ###.

And the blame will still fall upon the driver.

6. SOAthor

Jun 3, 2012
    Tennessee
    It did mention that most get paid far less than that, there was a lot of honesty even in that article but yes throwing out those big numbers skirts away from the real issue, treating drivers like robots and sub par payment for the time put in.

Oldironfan and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  7. SOAthor

Jun 3, 2012
    Tennessee
    "Klemp’s data shows driver pay over the past decade has increased about 6 percent"

Nice to see some more honesty about why quality drivers dont want to stay with the MegaC's.
    Special report: Day of reckoning in driver shortage saga

It was about the 10th paragraph in. Not sure I believe that even private fleets have increase by 17%.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    The last time I listened to a recruiter about a shortage of workers it was June 2000. I was told I could see the world and meet beautiful women while seeing it. And that I would get free health care, food, lodging, and even more money for college. And that if I signed the contract I would get a $20k sign on bonus.

Well since I was a teen and thought that people didn't tell lies. I took the recruiters word and signed away. Well it was nothing like the recruiter said. I only saw the world while jumping out of a plane. The only beautiful women I saw always yelled at me. And they would say why are you eye F#@$+!g me private? The food was free but it would taste like cardboard at times. Or either I would run so much that I would puke it up. The lodging was free also. But I had to get up at 0600 everyday. And sometimes I had to sleep out side for weeks at a time. The health care was free too. But all the did was prescribed motrion for absolutely everything.

The $20k bonus turned in to $12k for some odd reason. And when I got to North Carolina we would always sing how they would give you a $100 and take back $99. But going back to the beautiful women. I went to two different countries where the women covered up there face in these black outfits. And there husbands would shoot at me from time to time.

I ended up doing the college thing they offered. But after returning to life after taking the job I had. No one cared that I had been shot at or if I had a degree. So because of that I haven listen to a recruiter since then!!!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  9. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Realistically this whole shortage is pure hobwash. So let's look at truck driving. A person tends to get hired on and get company training. Then the company says ok if you quit before 12 months or what ever the term maybe. Then the driver will have to pay back the tuition. When the average new driver will end up washing out of the industry because of low pay and lies. That's pure craziness as it doesn't cost $3k plus to get a cdl.

Ok so the next thing is the work. A new driver will be told these astronomical numbers of pay. But will they see it, Yea if the person lives in the truck. The driver will see maybe 2/3 of what they were told.

The next thing is home time. 14 days out and 2 days off (if that) is not home time. A driver will miss out on birth dates, anniversaries, and etc. And always be told "we can't get anything headed your way".

A regular human works m-f mostly and gets weekends and holidays off. But most truck drivers don't get that. So life tends to pass a truck driver by. Then the driver tends to sit in the truck stop and tell the story of my wife left me and even took my dog! And I would reply well driver marriage doesn't work well over the phone. You have to actually see that person from time to time. (Most truckers are cheated on or divorced eventually because the spouse gets tired of being alone).

As far as pay increasing because of a shortage. I will say to little to late, and the same for these crazy amounts of bonuses. I don't want a bonus, it's taxed at a higher rate than regular income taxes. Also companies tend to either pay these large bonuses out over a very long term. Like five years I saw for one place. Or either it's the same as a starter company where if you leave before a year or so the bonus has to be payed back. Bonuses are use to reel in drivers who aren't in the know about xyz company. I don't see the better outfits offering a sign on bonus cause they already pay a decent wage.

But then there is another gimmick to the sign on bonus. To witch the pay roll week that it's to be paid out. Your miles will drop off drastic, now your pay stub will show the same average weekly pay. So that means your not making any more money then you were already. The trucking industry is quite full of gimmicks.

If a new comer can't start out local or regional I just don't see the point. Even if over the road paid 200k per year the turn over would still be High. People would only do it long enough to save money to buy a house or get out of debt. And then would quit because of the time spent away from home.

So as long as there is a shortage of hometime, pay, respect, holidays off and or holiday pay, 34 hr restarts on the road and etc. I guess different groups can always claim there's a shortage of drivers

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  10. bbq247365

bbq247365 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    This is pretty much why I am making strides to get out of the trucking business. It has been a honarable trade and I am very thankful for the steady work it has provided me and all that comes with it.

However, I got my CDL-A at age 20 and have since spent the last ten years as a driver. I look at my peers and I desire to have what they seem take for granted. Time with friends, family, experiences, relationships. Most days I feel like all I’ve done the last 10 years is work and I know the only way it’s going to change is if I choose to something about it.

I realistically have another 30-40 years of work ahead of me, I don’t want my next years to pass on like the last decade has.

More pay would be nice and would certainly be an incentive to stay on but as also posted, for some it’s too little too late, I’d rather take less pay in another line of work now and have the time I’m never going to get back to do what I want with whom I want while living happier on less.

Just my .02

Oldironfan, Justrucking2 and DTP Thank this.
  11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Best post I've read in a great while.
    Real stuff
    Man stuff

Yes, sir
    My thanks.

SOAthor Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.