Thinking about buying a 2008 Cascadia with 800,000 miles. What to look for?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by rbrauns, Sep 20, 2019.

1. rbrauns

rbrauns Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Hi,

I've been reading the forums and now after 3 years of driving for someone else, I want to buy my own truck. I've driven the newer trucks as a company drive and they all had problems with emissions so I'm looking at buying a 2008 Freightliner Cascadia with 14L Detroit Series 60 and 13 speed Smart Shift. The truck has 800,000 miles and has never been worked on, no DEF and DPF just EGR.

What are the big items that I should look for when buying this truck? I read about the bull gear on the Series 60 but what about the transmission? I understand about the other items like brakes, wiring, air lines, etc but the truck is cheap ($10,000) and I drove a Cascadia before. I like the room compared to the KW and Petes that I drove. I'm a big guy and will be doing flat deck work.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I love my Cummins powered 13 cascadia but dont pay much for that truck .
    That year was horrible for emissions issues .

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    2008 Cascadia has dpf. was dpf removed or I is a glider?

rachi Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    DPF started in 08. Maybe some 07's.

DEF started in 10?

And with the posted thread on emissions tampering.

Have the truck thoroughly looked at. Leave no stone unturned. There's a reason why it's cheap. And seller might not be disclosing.

In my hood. They're over the hill and in need of rebuild. Asking price is still higher then $10G.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  6. CraigInReston

CraigInReston Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    The saying "you get what you pay for" usually holds true regarding used trucks. If you buy a piece of crap, be very prepared to spend big money on it. I would have at least $30,000 in credit/savings waiting to be spent within 6 months of operation. Maybe you're lucking out and the owner just wants to retire. He knows the automatic tranny is starting to go and doesn't want to drop the money into it. Or his last few oil samples have come back "attention needed". Either way, most O/O's have a pretty good idea what their unit is worth on the open market and $10,000 tells me he's trying to dump it now...before it's just a paperweight in his driveway.

Tb0n3, rachi and snowwy Thank this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    That
    the truck is cheap because it has auto transmission. 14L Series 60 is a good engine, easy rebuildable. 800k is close to time when engine will need inframe. $10-15k will cost to rebuild it. Then you can drive another 600-800k miles. If you have that money buy it. If you don't have that amount do not buy it.

8. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Not too sure about buying a 11-12 year old truck with an early auto transmission..... big risk.

Dino soar, snowwy and bzinger Thank this.
  9. rbrauns

rbrauns Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2014
    @mhyn, the truck is a Canadian truck. Some 08s have the S60 engine (no DPF) and some have the DD15 with DPF.

@CraigInReston, this is so true. I asked the owner what it needs for passing the inspection and instead of answering my text, he's ignored me and lowered the price. I'm glad that I posted here. I'm now looking at another 08 Cascadia but one with a rebuilt engine, 1 owner truck from new and he has every receipt from day 1. Asking price is $15K so only $5,000 more.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  10. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    can you drive manual truck? if yes stay away from automatic transmissions.

11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    That is the kind of truck that you want to buy.

Make sure there is paperwork for the engine rebuild and if there's any warranty you know how long you have. And if it's past the warranty. At least you know roughly about how many miles are on it and how far you can go before you need another rebuild. Do an oil sample at least.

You want to look for recent repairs or repairs within say the last year to two years.

Some things to look for. Cams slack adjusters service and emergency Chambers Airlines shocks tires radiator turbo water pump thermostat injectors belts and hoses drive shafts and universals airbags and cab air bags front-end work suspension bushings exhaust air conditioner batteries starter alternator engine cab and radiator mounts clutch overhead adjustment.

If the truck is well kept up with most of that stuff that I listed there will have been replaced in the last couple of years.

A truck that was kept up with and that you have all the service records for is a much better deal even if you pay more for it.

Stay away from automated Transmissions. They are very expensive to repair and can leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere at the mercy of thieves

Manual transmissions are most dependable.

And if that guy lowered the price when you asked him what it needed to be legal, it's junk.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.