Thinking about buying a single axle and becoming an O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Yelsew, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Yelsew

Yelsew Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Hi I've been reading a lot on this site thanks to all who contribute. I don't have a cdl license. I was thinking about paying for cdl training for myself and buying a fleet maintained single axle sleeper and just work for myself. Problem I have is that I have a 2013 DUI. Conviction date is 2014. I reinstated my license in February 2018. When inquiring about cdl school they said that I can pay for the school myself but they can't provide funding because I won't be hireable. I didn't want funding for school but after being told this got me to thinking that I probably won't be able to afford insurance. I have a friend that's already set up under his own authority and I can get started with his help in the beginning. But would like to know what obstacles I would face. Thanks to all in who took the time to read this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    www.OOIDA.com can answer all your questions concerning becoming an owner-operator; insurance costs, etc.
    You're hirable as a company driver with several companies, if you graduate from a 160 hour cdl school. Where is your location; state & nearest city?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Yelsew Thanks this.
  4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    You lost me at single axle sleeper.

Aside from that, the DUI is going to really impact your $$. Insurance cost will be astronomical. And that’s putting it mildly.

And by your own words, you’ve rejected over 50% of the available freight by considering a single axle.

Your friend? Won’t be a friend anymore once you have even a minor incident he has to file on his insurance. Hell, he may discover that he can’t be your friend after his insurance company looks at you from the start.

And there you will be with a lawn ornament sitting in the driveway. Of course, there’s always outlaw.

Yelsew Thanks this.
  5. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    You lost your license for 4 yrs and the 1st thing you want to do is get a CDL and your own truck?

Xray4 and Yelsew Thank this.
  6. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    HAHA you beat me to it

Yelsew Thanks this.
  7. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Heck I think he should go for it. And post all about it on here.

SteerTire Thanks this.
  8. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Well solid advice from someone whos done it, I've been driving for 11 years and My insurance is $1200 per month... I have a clean record (now), solid work history (no gaps), no dui or arrest, and the only way I can see it working for you is money... Do you have at least $35,000 sitting in the bank?

9. Yelsew

Yelsew Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    What's a man without a dream? I didn't lose my license for 4 years just didn't reinstate them until this year. I have a pretty good job but was thinking bout resigning and using some of my 401k to start something up on my own. Thanks for the input

10. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I’m betting he could do a lease with Prime ;) That would be worth watching.

11. Yelsew

Yelsew Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Thanks you for the response. Was thinking of going the hotshot route.

SteerTire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.