Thinking about making a career change to trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mtnman59, Dec 12, 2011.

1. mtnman59

mtnman59 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Redmond, OR
    I am thinking about making a career change. Always enjoyed driving and traveling. See all the ads for truck driving jobs. Seems to me in this economy why would they be looking for so much help unless nobody wants to do it? I understand... time away from home, sleeping in the rig, putting chains on in the snow, the responsibility for controlling a big rig in bad conditions, stuff like that.

But hey, my job aint perfect either. I'm a refrigeration tech. It's a young man's job, and I'm not so young anymore. Hauling heavy stuff up ladders to the roof while the snow snow goes sideways, crawling under houses and up in the attics, being on call in the middle of the night, crazy hours, you get the picture. I make a decent living, and can't just become a wal mart greeter. I need a decent check. I drive a LOT, have no tickets or accidents, and I can fix the reefer.

Would like to hear from some veteran truckers about the the job, the life, good and bad. Don't wanna jump from the frying pan into the fire, but I am intrigued.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Trucking is a lifestyle not just a job. The job is great if you can deal with being away from home, the hardest part for me. I don't mind the B.S that goes with the job as much as some. It's a love it or hate it profession. the reason why the trucking companies are constantly hiring is because of the turnover rate. drivers get into it and don't realize it's more than a job. Good Luck but be prepared. Merry Christmas.

4. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Plenty of threads on here to read about peoples adventures with trucking.

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  5. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    Trucking is not for everyone and a lot of people get into it and learn it the hard way that's its not for them.Don't get trick in those ads claiming you'll make $50k - $60k in your first year an't going to happen.Trucking schools use that as tool to trick people to spend $5-6k for CDL training,now don't get me wrong here you can make good money but not big money.Now you can make over $40K or more a year but more likely not till you got a year or two under your belt.Most starter companies don't pay that well but the sky is the limit you just gotta do your homework and find the best company for you.

6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    For many,

it will be a job change.

And a short term one at that !!!!

Good Luck !!

7. kwloo

kwloo Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    eh?
    Big adjustment for me. I'm a flat bedder and home weekends but between catching up on sleep and family stuff there is no time for hobbies or friends. This may change as I get more experience but I'm an empty nester heading out on my 6th week and my wife is starting to realize all the little things I did that she has to pick up- walking the dog, getting up to a spotless kitchen, checking the cars over and detailing them, house maintenance etc. The first day out our fridge developed a leak in the plastic water supply line. It was a big deal for her to turn off the tap and mop the floor.... its gotten better since that LOL.
    I make good money but i hustle, take hot loads, wide loads, whatever pays the money but I sure get tired.

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You've got it . Most THINK they want to do it but get a reality check when they get out there and leave . The constant ads should tell you something . You're smarter than most because you are considering the economy . No new jobs . Just people being hired , quitting and being replaced .
    Maybe you can be one of the 10% that makes it . Many fail because CDL mills could care less about background beyond ability to pay . When graduates get to carrier orientation they are surprised they get sent home due to past tickets or felonies .

9. BossOutlaw88

BossOutlaw88 Road Train Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Cali
    Maybe you can be one of the 10% that makes it . Many fail because CDL mills could care less about background beyond ability to pay . When graduates get to carrier orientation they are surprised they get sent home due to past tickets or felonies .[/QUOTE]

The story of my life. But the kicker is that my record is now clean from some unknown source and I'm jobless for disclosing tickets that I paid for that didn't show up on my record. It's been three months now and it also has no tickets before the last three years. I quit my nice factory job to work for PAM and they send me through training and I got my CDL. Only to get turned down due to tickets that are not on my record that I listed in orientation.

10. mtnman59

mtnman59 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Redmond, OR
    Thanks Rick G. Food for thought...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.