Thinking about trucking for a living

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Ind0792, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Ind0792

Ind0792 Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Hello everyone. I don't know if I posted this to the right section, but I am a Canadian who's thinking of possibly driving a truck to earn a living.

My situation is that I'm in my late-40s, graduated college last year (2 year diploma in accounting), and have not been able to find any work, despite the government telling me there was a high demand for bookkeeping-related jobs prior to my enrollment in college. I think the fact I'm in my forties (as if that makes me some kind of invalid) and have no accounting experience automatically turns me toxic to potential employers (for what valid reason, I don't know).

I have a speeding ticket for 15 km/h over from March 2016, but an otherwise clean driving record, and no criminal record. I also have no experience driving big trucks (the biggest thing I've driven was a Grizzly armoured personnel carrier back in 1990 when I was in the military, and a few cube vans). I've never really tried to successfully back up a trailer, either (that would be the hardest part for me, I think). I do, however, enjoy learning new things.

Given the above, would I have a good chance at employment with a trucking firm if I took an approved training course? If not, I think my only option is to go on welfare when my savings run out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I would think anyone who takes a course can secure employment. My friend took course and recruiters from trucking companies made their pitch.
    Where you located?

BigHossVolvo, Ind0792 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You can attend trucking school. Work out the literal learning of backing etc. And challenge to fix whatever else you don't yet know before it's time to take the DMV test. Eventually you will be a young rooster in your own Tractor Trailer ready to go work.

Your accounting skills will become very valuable in time to someone within a company somewhere. Keep that in the back of your mind. Don't let that learning rust or go bad.

Xeno124 Thanks this.
  5. Ind0792

Oct 14, 2018
    I live in the Greater Toronto Area (the place where you need a master's degree to be a cashier).

6. Ind0792

Oct 14, 2018
    Thanks for the encouragement. I've been in a trough lately.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Wal, tarnation and hellfire, don't lay in dar. Out!

8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Well first i'm just surprised you can't find work as a book keeper although if you've only done 2 years you'll need at least another year or more at Uni to be a CPA then you definitely will find work as an accountant, however if trucking is the way you want to go age is no barrier i new a bloke that started driving in the USA in his late 60's as long as you can pass a medical there will be no problem the 2nd point is as long as you can pass all the computer and practical tests you will be fine if you've never ever driven a vehicle with a 53' trailer behind you that'll take a bit of getting used to especially around intersections you have to always be careful of your back axles hitting something all this takes is practice the other thing is changing gears on a R/R eaton fuller gearbox its different to a sycro box that i think out of everything will be your hardest challenge.

x1Heavy and Ind0792 Thank this.
  9. Ind0792

Oct 14, 2018
    I'm as surprised as you are about me not getting hired. I honestly think it's an age-discrimination phenomenon, but that's difficult, if not impossible, to prove. Spending more money at a costly university to get a B. Comm. degree and then having to fart around in order to get a CPA certification seems like a huge amount of outlay for only the faintest hint of possible return on investment. I'm very wary of higher education since the lack of response to my college credential. It seems I had better luck way back when I was a high school dropout over a decade and a half ago (but then, I was younger and didn't have the barrier of age to overcome).

I should be able to pass a medical, since the only issue I have is a sluggish thyroid and I take meds for that. As for manual transmissions, I have experience with those, but only in cars.

I like the idea of doing a job and not having someone hanging over me all the time, so that part of trucking appeals to me. My main concern is if I would have a decent career after doling out more money for training.

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We put out something on the order of 46000 between roughly 2002 to 2006 for college the two of us. One got that 2 year then 4 year degree very easily, met the family first dream etc to hold a college degree. Well done, earned etc.

Worthless. 32000 dollars POOF.

I took a stab at IT. Found out that Coding a a form of hard prison labor. Find out a few other things I hated to go with it. Discovered my math outside of axle weights is really terrible. So no game design there. Forget it. No Java either. Just HTML. Telecomms I killed it, I ruled. Cisco routers too. All mine. Rigging data centers etc no problem. But I discovered that I am very good at designing and building desktop computers that are very powerful within limitations of 120 volt/30 amp power T socket and money.

It only took me about oh... 4000 to learn that. Among other things like forensics and so on. (THAT is fun...) Hacking and being hack was a form of war in the security IT class. I actually have feelings, Am too nice for that. But for all that I destroyed some of my classmates, some of whom are very good. Which for a 22 year old probably hurt him a little bit considering the ferocity of my attack against his machine. I wont be doing that again.

Interest took the rest. 46000 dollars. Back to uncle sam it went. Paid.

Being a 45 year old sitting between 18 somethings during a algebra lecture is not my cup of tea. I rather sit in New Jersey camden ben franklin bridge closure than that classroom. I must have aged 10 years in there I was so out of place.

YEa college was a nice experiment. But a very very expensive and ultimately worthless.

11. Ind0792

Oct 14, 2018
    I tend to think that colleges and universities are just big revenue machines. I graduated from my two-year program with a perfect GPA and an overall average of just over 97%. No one cared. I, too, was the first in my family to graduate from college. Now I have a diploma in my drawer.

P.S. - The students who sat and fooled around during classes on their smartphones and got grades in the 60s are now working. This is what employers seem to want (youth -- no matter how slack -- over diligence).

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.