Thinking about trucking for a living

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Ind0792, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    It isn't about loving the aggravation. It's about tolerating the aggravation for the enjoyment of the driving. If you work for a southern Ontario trucking company, you'll have to endure a whole lot more aggravation, especially if you remain within the Ontario border.

But if you can get out into central North America, on the open roads where there is much less traffic, there is little to no aggravation.

I told you from the start, do more research. I was presenting the bare truths about trucking. If you are serious about something, you'll push past them and keep trying. Perseverance is a hugely desirable character trait in a professional driver. One of the most important actually.

Ind0792 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ind0792

Ind0792 Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Yes, the cubicle farm, with its attendant bureaucracy, drove me nuts at times.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. Ind0792

Oct 14, 2018
    Thanks. I'll be looking into this further. They're having a seminar over at the local skills training centre about the trucking industry this coming weekend. I plan to attend.

x1Heavy and Zeviander Thank this.
  5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Do it. Just stay vigilant for people trying to sell you an untruth. Don't fall for the pleasant stories they might tell you and the big money payouts they'll give you. There are a lot of people in this industry who will lead you to think they'll bring you the world because they are very desperate to fill seats.

Find the people who treat you like the professional you want to be, give you the respect your deserve, and reward you for the hard work that you do. The companies do exist, but sometimes they require a lot of work to find.

Ind0792 Thanks this.
  6. Ind0792

Oct 14, 2018
    I'm very wary of people who have nothing but ear-tickling on their lips. I've been burned before. I tend not to believe too many people anymore, especially if I think they have a hidden agenda. ;)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    x1Heavy and Zeviander Thank this.
  7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    you’re at or below the average truck driver age so you’re very employable in this industry .. I won’t lie and say you’re first or second job will be perfect but once you get a year or two experience you’re options open up .. Main thing is keep your license clean and you’re golden later

BigHossVolvo and Ind0792 Thank this.
  8. Ind0792

Oct 14, 2018
    Thanks. I appreciate the time everyone has taken to contribute to this thread. It's all very helpful. One doesn't see much example of anyone trying to help anyone else these days, so it's nice.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The kinds of help Ive seen here is amazing, either helping granny across the Times square at rush hour or the kind that the helpee gets ribbed and teased. Perhaps the dummy gets bawled out. Or the idiot gets reeducated right quick like.

Help, yes indeedy. Glad you enjoy your time here.

10. CraigInReston

CraigInReston Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    You have a degree in accounting? Have you thought of starting your own bookkeeping for truckers? There's a lot of potential in that area. Many O/O's don't have time or knowledge to file their own taxes/GST returns, and you can operate from home. You just need to advertise locally and build up a cliental. As for the idea of becoming a trucker...don't do something just because of desperation. You really need to love this occupation to succeed. Otherwise you'll just be miserable in a few years, after the nostalgia has wore off.

Ind0792 Thanks this.
  11. Ind0792

Oct 14, 2018
    I don't have a degree. I have a two-year diploma (like an associate's degree in the U.S., I suppose).
    I can do full-cycle bookkeeping, but I'd need to brush up on taxation, since it's not a huge part of the program I took and it's always changing.
    Concerning misery, I'm already there my friend. I don't know how it could have come to this. I'm a smart guy and have the education, yet can't get anyone to look at me seriously.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Reason for edit: typing error
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.