Thinking...(dually)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Reesethedriver, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Reesethedriver

Reesethedriver Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2021
    I'm seriously considering getting into the Dually Game. Can someone give me a few Pros and Cons about this business???

2. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Relatively high startup costs unless you're willing to go stupidly far into debt for a new truck, trailer and equipment and put yourself on the never ending payment plan. Then there is the insurance policy and other paperwork to pay for and then you need cash to operate on until you get paid for anything. (Maybe a factoring company can help there). If you already have a good truck that's a start but you still need considerable startup capital for everything else. Not much point in registering for above 26k unless you're hauling cars. I'd keep the setup as light as possible...no need for dually trailer axles or hydraulic beavertails. Trying to haul heavier than that with a 1 ton isn't a great idea for the truck's longevity and light stuff tends to be where the money is anyway. There's money to be made just like with the big trucks. 48 ft semi flatbed is easier to find loads for but I get it...not everybody wants to be a big-truck-truck-driver with it's extra hassles. Technically you don't even need a commercial driver's license to drive 26k and under hotshot

Reesethedriver Thanks this.
  3. Reesethedriver

Jun 22, 2021
    No, I plan on buying used, that's both truck and a flatbed trailer. I wanna buy them outright so I won't have a note to pay. Only insurance, fuel, etc...

4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    So you want to go on the endless repair plan instead of a payment plan.. :D

Xray4 and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  5. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
  6. Reesethedriver

Jun 22, 2021
    Lol, that's a maybe or a maybe not

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Have you priced insurance?

Old_n_gray Thanks this.
  8. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    I wish the OP luck....but??!!? Ask the old hands on here what the failure rate is for a new entrant with I suppose no experience. Good luck on your pursuit of this But, make sure you ask a lot of questions on here and actually listen to people who are doing what you want to do.

Lite bug and Xray4 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.