Thinking of Conway TL

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Walt NJ, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Walt NJ

Walt NJ Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Wantage, NJ
    I'm thinking about Conway TL and have some questions. I have a HazMat endorsement and willing to run the Northeast and Canada.

1. Is the 2,500 mile per week estimate accurate? Or better yet, how many mile a day can you expect to run a day?

2. What is the mileage rate for an experienced driver?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for any information.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    Walt, your best bet would be to go to a truckstop and speak to real Conway Truckload drivers in person.

You will find that the average work week comes to about 100 hours. Remember, you will be working 7 days a week and even if not actually driving, you are still ALWAYS stuck in the truck. And those 14 hour days on duty really add up.

Add to these long hours an average paycheck of about $450.00- $800.00 a week (sometimes even less; trucks break down a lot, sometimes for days at a time) and you can see why Conway has a 98% driver turnaround rate.

This is about a $34,000 a year job, to be away from home and a prisoner to the truck for weeks, if not months, at a time.
    Check out driver mileage pay rates; you will find that even after years of experience, you are looking at a whopping, maybe 10 cent per mile pay increase. That's TOP pay. This means that you might graduate from below minimum wage to a couple of dollars over.

If you are homeless with no personal bills and no family, give it a shot; even that low pay will add up eventually (provided that you abstain from eating that way overpriced and low quality fatty, man made food at the truckstops). Unfortunately, truckstop food will mostly be your only option since getting to a supermarket will be impossible on a regular basis.

And if you do have a family, just know that not only will you not be home an a regular basis, your pay will be irregular as well. Unless your significant other works full time, paying bills will be a struggle, if they get paid at all.

Speaking of food, here's some food for thought; In just two years, the Conway Truckload threads on these very forums have been chock full o' company flagwavin' drivers, all defending this company under the guise that attitude (yes, attitude!) will make or break a driver. In other words, work hard, think the right thoughts and do the right thing, and success will eventually bear fruit.

Funny, these drivers are all gone. Almost every one.

Baloney! The proof is in the pudding. Nearly all, and I do mean all, of these drivers left Conway Truckload because of low, low pay. Period. Any company stooge that tells you otherwise is being a lot less than honest. Like I said before, go to those truckstops in person and speak to the drivers. You will be hard pressed to find a happy one. And just know that within a week to a couple of months, they too will be long gone as well, of their own volition.

I guess old CWTL drivers never die, they just go to work at Jiffy Lube.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  4. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    JopMO
    Whow do you drive for, @Surfer Joe ?

5. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Not sure he even drives anymore. He seems to spend a lot if time trolling around and spreading his crap.

6. Dreamboat

Jun 15, 2015
    JopMO
    Conway has one of the best reputations as an employer. From their website true2blue.com pay & benefits page:

It adds up quickly — the average annual income for a solo driver is $51,651, and for a team is $115,856 (per team)*.

7. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Sadly, you won't come anywhere near that just starting out. Conway is where I started a few years ago. I only lasted a few months. I have no ill will toward them tho. I remain available for rehire to them to this day. Two years ago I lucked into my current local job. Other than the health insurance, I am pretty content here.
    Good luck to you. I remember being right about where you are back in 2011. Had a very good finisher. As a matter of fact, roadrooster and I had the same finisher.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  8. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    The average solo stat includes the finishers.

Soooo minus 10k off the top then
    Minus 5-10% and divide it by the square root of 2

Times your miles by your rate.
    They "strive" for a whopping 120k miles.

42000/√2 = a range of 2969 so + that on a good year - that in a poor year....this is the TRUE solo average.

This is what you should plan to make on your third year in the company...maybe second if you get lucky.

Getting to a grocery store is actually super easy with Conway.

Drop the trailer at freight by the sub service trailers and go to lunch bobtail.
    Or whatever for that matter. Just keep her within an hours drive time.(off duty so it doesn't count against your 70)

Bout the only perk of working for this place. Ppl say I went here for vacation....I'm like oh yeah I been there.

There's always someplace to park on the street alone if you got the stupidity and balls to do it. That's how you rake in the big bucks with the elog & slow white truck :)

Personally I averaged 2875 a week with em but I mostly ran nights and a slow receiver really screwed getting my next load.

I've done the day driving thing and sleeping at side streets thing as well.

You drive at nights....you'll never run out of hours and might actually pick up another 10 working and 4 in the process if you go thru the border.

You'll love Canada...way better then America. Lol......I said it.

Oh shut up. You know you like Cornwall.

9. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    Really?
    We all know that a large company would never spread any false information now, right?

Bottom line: Drive for Conway Truckload and you will make about $34,000 your first year.
    Following years aren't a whole lot better.

How come all you company shills never accept my challenge of telling potential CWTL drivers to speak with real drivers in person?

Hey Dreamboat; keep us posted over the following months on a regular basis as to that "average annual income for a solo driver", will ya?

And Carg: Café Wha? Is freight created in the shadow of most Wally World locations? Who woulda' thunk that bobtailing is as easy as a Alabaman Soiled Dove? That does it for me; no more sleeping nude on my stomach with such hooligans in the vicinity.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  10. Dreamboat

Jun 15, 2015
    JopMO
    That is average. They paid for my school, so I won't make that much. OP didn't say anything about being new to driving..

The average annual income for student drivers is $39,505

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  11. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    That includes the teams dream so its artificial.

I figure 33.6 so Joe is actually more generous in his figure. (Taking off two cents for breakdown and other bull)

36k/√2= x amount of money you'll make for a FULL first year meaning paid on January 1st.

It isn't an actual figure of what the actual drivers make. Just an abstract projection made in the office.

Welcome to statistics.

.....I like statistics....was really good in school at them and am a baseball guy.

Statistics don't pay the bills for workers though.

Only time will tell but I hope you beat the projections and don't be upset if you don't hit the average company figure because I just gave you the REAL number.

I wonder if the schooling is going to be counted as income.....do they include that in the projection?

....seeee aren't variables fun.

XD

Yup bobtailing 5 minutes is so hard to get groceries seeing how you pass 500000000000000000 Conway freight yards in an average day.

I just hate how they claim they are in the city when they aren't ala Winston Salem...that ####s in Kernersville!!

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.