Thinking of going back to trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SoCalRed, Feb 27, 2017.

1. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    I have 12 years OTR and local experience, but last time I drove was in 2006. I see that all company that hire experienced drivers are asking for recent (last 3 years) experience. A starter company is always an option, but I'm trying to avoid these.
    Are there any good companies out there I can get hired at or should I swallow my pride and do 6 months to a year at a starter company? If so who are the best of the worst?
    I only care about miles, home time is not a deal breaker for me.
    Thanks for any help.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Well. Don't make it about pride. Have at it if that is what you want. Go for it. So you do a little refresher and a time with a trainer. With your previous experience there is no problem showing them you can drive or back etc. Paperwork might be something else what with the changes to Elogs and such. I understand you cannot move a inch without Elogs recording it somehow. I might be wrong. My time was long before Elogs and 34 hour resets. That 34 hour would have been nice for me and wife again, we did not have that in our time. It would have cost too much money each week just to sit that long.

Build some savings. Make sure you find a company that pays you for the load you just hooked on to your 5th wheel. Soon you send in the loaded macro on QC, the next beep should be your netpay after taxes and option to direct deposit or cash for that particular run. You can then run it like a business.

12 years is plenty. I don't think you will be too worried about the turkey Inc of companies too long if at all. Someone would take you on.

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  4. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    Where do you live? The expert on this is @Chinatown

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    May Trucking Company hired a driver that has been off the road 10 yrs.
    Craigslist; may take 50 phone calls, but someone will hire you. Talk to some people & leave some messages.
    If you still have a cdl, KKW Trucking will hire you.
    Freymiller sometimes cuts a lot of slack on a gap in driving; 5 yrs. gap on the website, but they bend the rules.
    Western Express will probably hire you.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    x1Heavy and Jimmy Hoffa Thank this.
  6. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Glad I found this site. Can't believe I got so many responses in just a few minutes.
    I'm in San Diego, CA. There are a lot of trucking companies in Fontana. I'll go trough the Craigslist adds and make some phone calls.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    Yeah, after I posted, I saw your name "SoCalRed", being that I live in NorCal, I shoulda figured out where you live. Lol.

8. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    noticed a billboard for dot trucking the other day on I-5 The ad claimed their drivers make $76,000. a year

9. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Are you ready?

20170226_223913.jpg

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I would try Gardner in Chino before KKW in Pomona.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Maybe they made that much.

Inflation you know. There are retail expenses in the truckstop with meals approaching 20 dollars when nutritionally complete with proper fluids. Each. That's 280 a week for two meals a day. 7 days or... 1040 a month, Or roughly 12,000 76000 just became 64000, Then you have the taxes which will probably be around 39% or higher bracket. Call it 39000 net. Then the state taxes, if you are in a state taxable situation. 15% maybe That's down to 29000 net. Social security is another 6% more or less plus local taxes. That is net 22,000 You already paid for the meals for the year cash. 22000 roughly gives you 1800 a month for your house, utitlies to the same, family food, gasoline etc etc etc. It's not much. Poof.

Not everyone should be driven by what someone thinks they can make in trucking per year. You have a sitaution where it's feast, famine according to economy. Mileage etc.

There are small oppertunities to make a bunch of money. I recall my trainer position paying salary, FFE wanted to make my spouse a trainer, taking advantage of her previous supervisory experience as a marine corps sargeant. Two trainers on the house hold with them would have a salary approaching 5000 dollars gross per week, netting 3000 just about after taxes weekly that's 150,000 a year. Teaching newbies how to back to a dock. most will master it, some will never be truckers. That kind of income would have turned us into something that the Lord would not have approved of in this life.

Money is wonderful, in this secular world of Trucking that makes it go around and round. Without it nothing moves.

Don't go chasing after the 76000 billboard. Not everyone gets to make that much. If they did the associated costs and product and so on would be very expensive indeed. Recruiting involves marketing. And marketing involves one of Man's 7 Vices. Money happens to be a vice for some. If you really want it you wont be hiring on as a company driver no sir. You will have ambition to own your own 1000 truck out fit and let People worry about the little small people stuff such as earning enough mileage pay each day to survive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.