Thinking of used T680 truck...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mr.travo, Mar 18, 2016.

1. mr.travo

mr.travo Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2014
    SC
    Ok, I already know that I am going to hear both sides of the coin on this thread. I am ready (and want) to hear everyone's thoughts and ideas. I am looking at buying a used T680. I have been test driving it for over 140,000 miles so far. I have apx another 120,000 left on the test drive before I need to make a decision, LOL! It's my company truck and has been very good to me. I am trying to contact the person that handles the sales side of our turn in trucks to see what they go for.

What are things I need to find out? I would imagine this would be a wonderful time to start tracking my rolling maintenance costs, right? When it goes in for work, it's covered under warranty, so how would I track that?

What else could I be using this *extended test drive* time to be figuring out? I want to make a good choice. If I am going to be going O/O, I want it to be with a truck that I know what to expect from it and what is coming down the road.

Truck is a 2014 T680. PACCAR MX13. 13 speed manual. TAG axle. Diff lock. Traction control (lifts the TAG axle up slightly for added traction). 75" sleeper. Fridge (I bought and put in). 1800 watt inverter. ESPAR heater. Rear windows/emergency exits.

Thank you in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Is your company selling or trading it at 260,000 or so? Why? What mpg are you seeing with it anyway and what kind of work are you doing. I would not be interested in the mx motor as an independent. Only certified kw/Pete shops can work on it. I would buy the cummins. They seem to do comparatively on fuel, bigger service network, lots of them have lived well over 1 million miles. Can the mx make the same claim? Too early to tell probably.

mr.travo Thanks this.
  4. mr.travo

mr.travo Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2014
    SC
    Sorry about leaving that part out- The truck had 170,000 when I got it. It was my buddy's truck and he has been driving over 2 million miles. He signed it over to me because he finally got his brand new Volvo (he loves Volvo's). We run our trucks to around 430K before they are traded in or sold. Our company is known for well kept equipment (I can also attest to that).

The MX seems to be fine to me, but I am NO expert. I know the numbers do not lie and it is my understanding that these motors were unveiled around 2013ish. So yes, time will tell.

I haul all types of loads (as everyone else does) and I notice that I average out around a solid 7mpg (when loaded). My 3 month running MPG always stays above a 6.5mpg and any mile beyond our paid miles counts as a "0" mpg. They have a slanted way of figuring that up, but with me it has taught me to watch my miles and LOG EVERYTHING so I know my out of route miles and everything else.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  5. mr.travo

mr.travo Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2014
    SC
    The "solid 7mpg" is a low-ball estimate. I need to start keeping better track of that. I will start doing that today. What is the easiest and most accurate way to achieve this? Does idle time affect this figure or are we counting just traveling mpg?

I always have an ear to learn new things, thanks!

6. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Divide miles driven on tank by gallons in next fill up. Paper and pencil are best don't trust the truck mpg readout. Yes idle time counts since it burns fuel and lowers mpg.

mr.travo Thanks this.
  7. mr.travo

mr.travo Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2014
    SC
    Got it. So just track it the way I used to do in high school. I appreciate it! I just wanted to make sure that was the best way to do it in the trucking world.

Thanks!

crb Thanks this.
  8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, at least you know the guy driving it now, so you're way ahead of the game as far as maint. and how the truck was driven.

mr.travo Thanks this.
  9. mr.travo

mr.travo Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2014
    SC
    Correct... That's why I am willing to look into making the plunge. I intend on my pay staying the EXACT SAME as I make now (.39cpm). I want to bank as much as possible in order to achieve a fat maintenance account (I know these new EPA trucks have the after-treatment system which can add your cost per year) and then start making bigger payments to achieve a faster payoff. Once that is complete it will be time to throw money into savings and then give myself a pay raise.

I see too many new O/O's that don't take their time with a good solid plan and then fall flat on their face. Not saying that crap doesn't happen, just saying that to be successful takes patience and time. No one started out driving a Ferrari when they were 16. Just saying...

Thanks!!!

10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @mr.travo the MX13 was first sold in '06 but it had no EGR at that time(not sold then in the USA)There are several hundred thousand off those engines running allover this planet.So mechanicly they are good.If ,and that is a big if, there are any problem it with be with the emissions.But the Cummins have just as little or as much chance in having problems in that respect.Watch and replace sensors and wiring harness if and when needed.(Once you own the truck)

mr.travo Thanks this.
  11. mr.travo

mr.travo Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2014
    SC
    Ah! Ok, so they "field tested" the MX in a bunch of other countries and then brought it to the US with the after-treatment system added to it? I would sure feel better knowing the design has been around longer. Like I had said, it seems like it's a solid motor. It's no old school turned up diesel, but for being EPA compliant I have liked it. It has A LOT more power (to me) than the Maxforce I tested, LOL!

Thanks for the information!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.